Purest Audio sound??

ace777

Fully Optimized
So basically I have started looking into ways to get higher quality music, I have been dealing with 320 kbps mp3s and so on, recently me friend told me about .flac codec and how its uses loseless compression so I was wondering how I can take the CD's that I already own, and take the quality(apparently most are in 1411kbps quality) and rip them to a format on my computer because they do sound loads better on my CD player then my Mp3 any way to do this? also any other formats that are more common that you can all recommend for someone that loves music?

Loseless compression? It's ironic in itself.

If you want to retain the audio quality of your CD's when ripping them then you have to use non-compressed .wav, .bwav or .aiff. files.

You'll need more hard drive space but you'll retain a bit-for-bit copy.

Eh? I was under the impression that there WAS such thing as lossless compression...

for instance, if you got a BMP File, RAR'ed it the file would be smaller, but the image wouldn't loose any quality. Doesn't Lossless compression work under the same principle?

Eh? I was under the impression that there WAS such thing as lossless compression...

for instance, if you got a BMP File, RAR'ed it the file would be smaller, but the image wouldn't loose any quality. Doesn't Lossless compression work under the same principle?

Correct. Late nights are catching up with me.

Lossless compressed files will be larger than lossy compressed files and the lossless file size is heavily dependant on the music file itself.

Lossless compressed files will indeed be larger than lossy ones - quite a bit larger. However, they usually come in at under half the space of the uncompressed audio using FLAC, which is damn impressive from a technical standpoint. Have a look here if you want more information, FLAC is really the only lossless codec worth worrying about this side of 5 figure licenses!

If you want something that's better than MP3 but aren't happy with the file sizes of lossless compression though, there's always OGG. I suggest you give that a go first - it works MUCH better at lower bitrates than MP3 does, and you generally get much more quality for your file size whatever bitrate you choose. Big shame it's not supported more!

I rip all my CD's in FLAC now. Its a compressed lossless format, and depending on the content, compresses the size down quite significantly to the original uncompressed wave file.
My MP3 player also plays FLAC, so thats all I have on it.

Back
Top Bottom