Buying Extra RAM....help?

tcoleman1

Beta member
I have a pretty limited knowledge of computers, so I am hoping that someone can help me here. My computer has become extremely slow recently, especially when running multiple programs and more importantly ridiculously slow running games.
I do not have the money to buy a new laptop. So I have come to the conclusion of buying more RAM. I currently have 1GB in my Acer Aspire 5710z at the moment. What would anyone reccomend uprgading to? I was thinking just going all out and getting 4 GB and how found this website :

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=53077DA4A5CA7304

Pretty sure this is compatible with my laptop. Just could really do with some advice?

If you call the folks at Crucial, they can help you.... but I doubt that increasing your RAM will help much. The problem with your slowness might be just a factor of using modern software, designed to work with new hardware, on an old notebook?

Good Luck.

Link should be fixed now. Its not an old laptop. Only had it 2.5 years. Used to run fine but in the last few months has really slowed down. Everything seems to be fine but a lot of my memory is used up from doing very little. Any other opinions on whether it would really speed it up?

What kind of apps are you running similtaneously, which slows down your system?

Another reason for a slow system are spyware/viruses. Are you running a virus/spyware program? If not, AVG and Malwarebytes are free. If you haven' scanned your system recently, download Malwarebytes and scan it NOW.

Can't be viruses. AVG picks up pretty much everything and gets rid of it. I also have Advanced System Care Professional which I load up a couple of times a week and get rid of a lot.

Can't be viruses. AVG picks up pretty much everything and gets rid of it. I also have Advanced System Care Professional which I load up a couple of times a week and get rid of a lot.

There is still the chance it is viral or a kind of malware. AVG (or any anti-virus for that fact) is not perfect.

High memory usage while "doing nothing" is a sign of a virus infection or just a lot of crap starting at bootup. It could also be the start of a failing hard drive as windows has to page a lot more onto RAM for stability. Look on Acer's site and see if they have a hard drive diagnostic utility.

With 1GB RAM it is highly likely that RAM is a big factor in the slowness of the computer as well, even if there are other issues.

What Operating System are you running?

If you call the folks at Crucial, they can help you.... but I doubt that increasing your RAM will help much. The problem with your slowness might be just a factor of using modern software, designed to work with new hardware, on an old notebook?

Good Luck.

What makes a computer old?

IMO, The answer is the components, not nessicarily the actual age of the computer. By upgrading the computer, you are bringing it back up to date.

What makes a computer old?

IMO, The answer is the components, not nessicarily the actual age of the computer. By upgrading the computer, you are bringing it back up to date.

You do realize he has an Acer notebook, right?
I've upgraded dozens of PCs over the years by swapping out MBs, processors, overclocking, adding RAM, upgrading video, HD and bus... but never have I had much luck in doing most of those things in a notebook.

Back
Top Bottom