Casble to connect laptop to desktop for file transfer?

CoolRabbit

Baseband Member
This is probably a dumb/simple question. I bought a new laptop and want to transfer some extremely large files back and forth from my desktop at home and also my desktop at work. Is there some sort of high speed cable I can connect the two that will work easily, and with different systems? My desktop at home is an old Pentium 4 (circa 2003 or so).

Your best bet has to be a Firewire or x-over Ethernet cable.

I've never connected two machines with Firewire but I know with an x-over Ethernet cable it's just a simple case of setting up a network. Then you can move your files over.

Your best bet has to be a Firewire or x-over Ethernet cable.

I've never connected two machines with Firewire but I know with an x-over Ethernet cable it's just a simple case of setting up a network. Then you can move your files over.

Haha OK talk me through the Ethernet thing. Can I just get an Ethernet cable and connect the two together and voila, I am set? Or is there something else I have to do to make it work?

Haha OK talk me through the Ethernet thing. Can I just get an Ethernet cable and connect the two together and voila, I am set? Or is there something else I have to do to make it work?

You don't need anything else just the cable and your done. You do have to enter the network setup wizard to get it up and running.

Be sure to get a crossover Ethernet cable to connect them, not a straight-through Ethernet cable.

It might be easier to just get a USB flash drive. The prices on these are coming way down, too. Depending on how big you need the flash drive to be to hold your files it may even be cheaper than a crossover cable. No doubt it would be easier.

These are HUGE video files. My desktop is old and slow, and it would take forever to save each video file to a flash drive (and the flash drive would have to be really big). I thought it would be easier to skip a step and get the video to my laptop directly from my desktop. I am going to check into getting a crossover ethernet cable tonight.

OK I got a crossover ethernet cable, connected the two computers. They see that each other is there, but cannot read from each other so I cannot move files. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom