Why is my PC restarting itself?

mista.h

Beta member
Hey everyone I'm having a real tough time trying to figure out why my PC is restarting itself, I know this is quite a long post *sorry* but it's happening to me like 5 times a day and I cant even do my uni work on it. I'm running Windows XP on a Pentium 4.

I'm not even sure if its hardware or software related. I'm not getting any blue screens it just cuts out and then straight away starts to boot from the start as if I turned it back on. It usually happens when I'm doing CPU intensive tasks like games or video converting and more often on hot days.

Since it usually happens on hot days I thought it was something to do with overheating and the CPU fan which is very loud sometimes. But before I go out and buy new fans or something can someone help me make sense of these error messages?

After a random restart I get a windows error report with a code like one of these 2 below. They always come up after a restart but are different codes each time (?)

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BFC19B35 BCP3 : B5C2FA98
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : F771FD70 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Errors in my event log

I'm constantly getting two events (see below) : the system error event (1003) which I find every time the pc restarts itself (same as windows error report message but just reported differently in event log) AND these damn Eset NOD32 errors and I haven't had that antivirus installed for months and months- I use AVG now. This NOD32 “service control manager” error ALWAYS happens approx 2 minutes before one of my restarts which has me concerned.

System error- event 1003-Error code 000000ea, parameter1 895b8888, parameter2 897284c8, parameter3 89824f58, parameter4 00000001.

2 minutes later restarts ^

Service control manager- event 7000-The Eset Nod32 Boot service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Service control manager- event 7009- Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Eset Nod32 Boot service to connect.

Sometimes but not always the two NOD32 errors are immediately followed by an AVG one ?

Service control manager- event 7026-The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AvgLdx86

Maybe there's some conflict there but I don't even have NOD32 installed anymore haven't for about a year…

So, I am wondering if it's a problem with software, something to do with old NOD32 files or hardware- overheating since it mostly happens on hot days.

Thanks heaps for any advice im tempted to reformat my PC but then again if it's a hardware error…

I would recommend cleaning your registry if you havent done so in awhile. Ccleaner works like a charm, just download it and run it. Also, I am gonna say that its more than likely the cpu overheating. Download this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ and monitor your cpu temperature to find out if that is the problem.

When you say you're not getting any blue screens, are you sure that your machine isn't set to restart upon system failure? Worth checking, since if you are and they're just being hidden that could alter what I'd suggest entirely!

First thing I'd suggest is as above, monitor your temperatures to find out if the machine is overheating. It's dead easy to do and just rules it out (or confirms it in which case problem solved!)

If it's not that, I'd suggest looking at your graphics card. Have you got a spare one lying around you could try? If so, swap it out and see if you get the same issues. If you do then you've got your problem, but before scrapping the card try updating the drivers or trying the card in another machine just to make sure it's not a software issue.

If none of that helps, try using your machine in safe mode for a while. Does the problem still occur then? If not, I'd recommend a reformat as it may well be a driver issue along the line.

Beyond that, you may well be looking at something more serious such as a power supply issue or a motherboard issue - but let us know how you get on before resorting to that :)

Hey guys thanks heaps for the help!

I unchecked restart upon failure now im getting blue screens, 3 today already!!!

it reads: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down.....

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...."

does that mean there is something wrong with my drivers?

i checked my temps with HWMonitor and SpeedFan (coretemp said it isnt compatible with my processor, prob b/c its an old pentium 4)

these are my HWMonitor results:

cputemp.jpg

i've been told that CPU temp is too high, but would you guys say the overheating is why im getting reboots and BSOD?

Im suspicious other hardware may be faulty so i did a memtest on my RAM and apparently all 3 sticks are bad and need replacement... do you guys know if memtest is a reliable utility? i find it difficult to believe that all 3 sticks are bad >_>

seems like i need to replace CPU fan and buy some more thermal paste and maybe 3 more sticks of RAM.. but do u guys think that will stop the BSOD? maybe i have driver probs also...

thanks heaps for the help ppl!

^^
!!!
80 degrees!!
That is BURNING hot...
Jesus you should be happy your PC ain't fried yet.
Yeah yeah I know, all chips run different.
My AMD Phenom II 940 runs at 33 Celsius, sure you don't have that chip, but there is not supposed to be almost a 50 degree difference between chips.
I know this sounds like a dumb idea, but pop the side off your case, and put a regular floor fan there, see if that fixes the problem. If it does, we can work from there.

Actually, Whyfly, i did put a normal fan there to check just yday! and it doesnt seem to help >_> only reduces it a few degrees. I realised i actually rubbed off all the thermal paste b/w the cpu and the heatsink and that stuff is meant to be v. important in cooling CPU so im going to buy some more and see if that makes a diff

Ok if you do, don't get that cheapo crap...
Get some nice paste for about $10 on Newegg, and if you're at it, you can just get a nice heatsink for the computer.

try not use NOD ok?Mcafee is easy to use and less problem with using.
Of course you will find problems by other friends I didn`t use NOD

Your computer is running way to hot. It is restarting because it is overheating. You need to get a better cooling system. Make sure none of your fans have quit working.

Back
Top Bottom