Remote Access?

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Ok, so i am going to have myself a nice little server/HTPC sometime here soon, and i was wandering.

Is it possible to use one computer, and use it to access a disc drive on another computer, and stream the movie from that drive on the remote PC to the other PC and display it on the monitor/TV?

I want to do this so i can use all the internal space on my server build for hard drives, and i want no disc drives in it.

Yeah, you can share CD and DVD drives in Windows the same way you share a folder. It would be awfully slow, though. Depending on DVD drive speed, CPU/Memory speed of both PCs and network speed you might have a hard time streaming a DVD movie to another PC and still have it be watchable.

Yeah, you can share CD and DVD drives in Windows the same way you share a folder. It would be awfully slow, though. Depending on DVD drive speed, CPU/Memory speed of both PCs and network speed you might have a hard time streaming a DVD movie to another PC and still have it be watchable.

even using quad cores and 32x, and wired Ethernet?

hmm..

That should be plenty fine. It might have a few hitches here and there. But it will be just like watching YouTube videos, only larger. If the comp has issues watching YT videos, then it needs a hardware upgrade.

ahh ok, because i am considering using my server as a HTPC on the side if i can, if not, no biggy.

just going to try to get more use out of what i get.

Back
Top Bottom