Want to help me pick parts for new comp?

TheGuruHouse

Baseband Member
My budget is about 1000 USD.
I need it for home recording (my bands) and of course..
Gaming and looks :)

Can someone help explain DDR3 v DDR5 video cards?

Video Card

Mother Board I chose this cause i might want to crossfire and it has 4 PCI E 2.0 slots...

HDD It's cheap for 1.5TB

2 Pairs of Ram (so 4 sticks total, 8GB

Power Supply

Case

I need help choosing a monitor and (i think) CPU. Should I get a better sound card since i'll be recording?

For the things I picked it'll be about $600. I still need a monitor ... and well help in general XD

Thanks everyone!

i would get the AMD phenom II 955, it has an unlocked multiplier which will make it easy to overclock. I would also take this RAM over the one that you picked. it has lower timing which will make it faster than the other RAM. if you're going to be gaming then i would go for a better graphics card, check this one out, it'll be much better than the one that you picked out and it doesnt cost too much. this moniter might be good, i dont really know a whole ton about them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009179

i would get the AMD phenom II 955, it has an unlocked multiplier which will make it easy to overclock. I would also take this RAM over the one that you picked. it has lower timing which will make it faster than the other RAM. if you're going to be gaming then i would go for a better graphics card, check this one out, it'll be much better than the one that you picked out and it doesnt cost too much. this moniter might be good, i dont really know a whole ton about them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009179

Thanks a bunch!!
I don't plan on overclocking though ^^

you DO NOT need 8 gb of ram. 4gb is more than enough.

It is really close to thanksgiving so see if you can wait it out till then to get some amazing deals

I suggest get a cheaper motherboard without the 4x pci slots and spend more on the gpu like the new ati 5**** line

if you do want to crossfire that psu will not suffice unless you buy 2x the one that is posted in the link

as for cpu's which ones were you considering?

you DO NOT need 8 gb of ram. 4gb is more than enough.

It is really close to thanksgiving so see if you can wait it out till then to get some amazing deals

I suggest get a cheaper motherboard without the 4x pci slots and spend more on the gpu like the new ati 5**** line

if you do want to crossfire that psu will not suffice unless you buy 2x the one that is posted in the link

as for cpu's which ones were you considering?

You really think I don't need 8GB? I forgot to mention i do 3D rendering.

More specifically, when would be the best time to buy the parts? Right after TG or closer to Christmas?

I have no idea on the CPU. :-/
By the way, I don't see a link

Thanks for your input though

You really think I don't need 8GB? I forgot to mention i do 3D rendering.

More specifically, when would be the best time to buy the parts? Right after TG or closer to Christmas?

I have no idea on the CPU. :-/
By the way, I don't see a link

Thanks for your input though

Here's a good 25" monitor that's often on sale for $199.99.

As for CPU, I recommend the: Phenom II X4 955 black edition even if you don't plan to overclock it.

And yes, if you plan on doing recording for your band(s) I recommend you look into getting a sound card. Or, at the very least, try a recording with the onboard audio, then decide whether or not you want higher quality and invest in a sound card.

Here's a good 25" monitor that's often on sale for $199.99.

As for CPU, I recommend the: Phenom II X4 955 black edition even if you don't plan to overclock it.

And yes, if you plan on doing recording for your band(s) I recommend you look into getting a sound card. Or, at the very least, try a recording with the onboard audio, then decide whether or not you want higher quality and invest in a sound card.

Nice monitor there. ;)

I agree with you about the CPU, its a good budget performance CPU, something that fits your needs. You could end up overclocking it in the future, you probably can get pretty decent overclocks if you invest in a proper cooler. Overclocking isn't as difficult as one might think.

u really think I don't need 8GB? I forgot to mention i do 3D rendering.

ya, 4GB is plenty for anything, if 4GB plays Crysis on max and still has left over, um sure you can do all the rendering of any kind that you would wish to do, and i do believe that 3D rendering would be reliant on your GPU (graphics Card)

wow, critiqueFAIL by every ComputerForums member who posted...

not one person has mentioned the absolutely craptrastic but inherently "blingy" psu, Logisys psus are total crap, don't risk the parts in your build with a POS like that, get a decent psu, if you don't the odds are that you will regret it...

also, if you really want the see through look that case is alright, but a great looking case that is on sale/closeout at all Best Buys is the Antec Nine Hundred...

antec_900.jpg

it looks nice, it cools well and is only $68 because Best Buy is no longer gonna keep it in stock, check your local BB and see if they still have one, the case you chose will probably be more than this with shipping factored in because of the weight, it's almost never a good idea to buy a case online unless free shipping is included...

Can someone help explain DDR3 v DDR5 video cards?

First of all, DDR3 SDRAM or DDR5 SDRAM (memories) on Graphics cards are called GDDR SDRAM. GDDR memory was first started by ATI Radeon and later Nvidia started to incorporate GDDR memory in their Graphics cards.

To explain the difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5 memory, we must learn about the DDR2 SRAM and DDR3 SDRAM of PC Memory (RAM).

First of all, DDR SDRAM stands for Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, the name is such because the Memory Clock Speed of RAM is doubled for DDR and quadrabled for DDR 2 (doubled and doubled).

I know it's getting a little technical, so I'll put it into simple terms.

If the number behind the GDDR increases by one, the Memory Clock Speed multiplied by 2 times the previous factor.

This means, GDDR5 have approx 4 times the performance speed and quality of GDDR3 memories (GDDR4 has twice the performance quality of GDDR3).

Now this may not be the case with RAM because of Memory Timings, but that's another story.

I hope that helped.

Back
Top Bottom