Here's some food for Thought:

Yeah, but sorry to say, if it's the Korean misinterpretation of Japanese taekwandoe, it's not useful martial arts, it's the show kind. With high kicks and all these funny looking blocks. That can win you trophies, but not fights. And sadly, that's what most martial arts are.

Umm... Tae Kwon Do is is Korean. it was influenced off of Japanese Karate. In no way can either be deemed a "misinterpretation" of the other as their styles are completely different.

Yeah, but sorry to say, if it's the Korean misinterpretation of Japanese taekwandoe, it's not useful martial arts, it's the show kind. With high kicks and all these funny looking blocks. That can win you trophies, but not fights. And sadly, that's what most martial arts are.

Who told you that? Taekwondoe is for self defense. I am also trained in brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai which originated from Thailand.

Umm... Tae Kwon Do is is Korean. it was influenced off of Japanese Karate. In no way can either be deemed a "misinterpretation" of the other as their styles are completely different.
No, it's thought to be Korean, it's not. LONG time ago the Japanese taught it to the Koreans. It was misinterpreted, and taught the wrong way for a long ass time.

Who told you that? Taekwondoe is for self defense. I am also trained in brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai which originated from Thailand.
We had an instructor teaching us Taekwondoe for quite a while. 7th degree black belt. Straight from Korea. He taught us all that crap, like upper blocks, side blocks, all this shit that is not at all what we thought it was. Like the first form we learned was, Upper block, punch. And that was basically it. The real thing is... Take downs and upper cuts. When the Koreans learned it from the Okinawan, they just saw, no communication though. TaeKwondoe is what they then called it...
At least, I was taught this, and the shit we did for 3 years was completely useless. Using the Okinawan karate for 3 months, I could see it's relevancy.

High kicks or low kicks? Korean style IS japanese style. It's just, when Korea invaded Japan, the Japanese tought the Koreans but they couldn't communicate well, and Koreans misinterpreted things badly. High kicks are not good. If you can pull one off and get a head kick, then it will do a helluva lot of damage... but otherwise... easy takedown.

We learned high kicks, but never used them to spar, I think one person tried to head kick me and I just ducked. The chest kicks can really knock the wind out of you if you put enough grunt behind it though.

I trained in BJJ for most of my life. I find it to be the only art that I actually use in the field when fighting with suspects on the ground. All the training in the world in any specific MA means absolutely nothing in a gun fight. Even I'm not dumb enough to use my MA training to disarm an armed suspect. Give them what they want.

No, it's thought to be Korean, it's not. LONG time ago the Japanese taught it to the Koreans. It was misinterpreted, and taught the wrong way for a long ass time.

We had an instructor teaching us Taekwondoe for quite a while. 7th degree black belt. Straight from Korea. He taught us all that crap, like upper blocks, side blocks, all this shit that is not at all what we thought it was. Like the first form we learned was, Upper block, punch. And that was basically it. The real thing is... Take downs and upper cuts. When the Koreans learned it from the Okinawan, they just saw, no communication though. TaeKwondoe is what they then called it...
At least, I was taught this, and the shit we did for 3 years was completely useless. Using the Okinawan karate for 3 months, I could see it's relevancy.

First of all, it's spelled Tae Kwon Do (no e at the end). I never did claim that the japaneese didn't have a roll in it, because they did. The koreans simply took it and modified it into their own. All martial arts are like that. They take one and adapt it for their own you. I'm willing to bet my black belt on it.

First of all, it's spelled Tae Kwon Do (no e at the end). I never did claim that the japaneese didn't have a roll in it, because they did. The koreans simply took it and modified it into their own. All martial arts are like that. They take one and adapt it for their own you. I'm willing to bet my black belt on it.
Yes, I've had a black belt+3 more years(2nd and 3rd dan was just too expensive) and 2.5 years in MMA... I would bet all those belts too. Because belts don't mean anything. I got a black in tae kwon do and it was useless stuff...

The Koreans modified the version from the Okinawans. They both didn't speak the same language though. So when the Koreans were taught, they only saw. They saw a low kick in a form, and didn't see how that was effective. But a high kick looked a lot better, so that's what it became. They saw someone move their arm up and spin it sort of into what looked like a punch. It became, side block punch... In the Japanese form, it was a wrist manipulation and take down.

The Korean style is a tournament style, the Okinawan is effective fighting.

Have you ever played a game of telephone?

I'd still love to know where you "learned" all this. My master moved to the US from Korea, I'd believe him over anyone. If it helps, Tae Kwon Do evolved into what it is today only about 100 years ago durring a japaneese occupation. They forbid the training of any kind of native martial art so they adapted it to be similar to the arts taught by the japaneese.

I'd still love to know where you "learned" all this. My master moved to the US from Korea, I'd believe him over anyone. If it helps, Tae Kwon Do evolved into what it is today only about 100 years ago durring a japaneese occupation. They forbid the training of any kind of native martial art so they adapted it to be similar to the arts taught by the japaneese.
My old instructor was also from Korea, and a 7th dan black belt.

http://www.hongmartialarts.com/martial-arts-instructors.html

The Grand Master on that page was my original. When he moved, my other instructor, a 5th dan started doing some research. The Taw Kwon Do based on the Japanese Martial Art is the one that is messed up. The original Korean Martial arts are different.

Back
Top Bottom