Strange problem with Home network

bholabhala

Solid State Member
I have a strange problem with home network. I am running Cable internet at 25Mbps speed, and i have networked by desktop and my laptop through wireless connection. Network is connected and all fine & dandy, but when i enable internet sharing, the internet stops working on both host and the client computer. I have no idea whats going on.
My OS is Windows XP pro SP2, on both computers.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Have you thought of just buying a router. So much easier than ICS. Then you can use it to share your internet.

Have you thought of just buying a router. So much easier than ICS. Then you can use it to share your internet.
Agreed. ICS was always flaky at the best of times, and when you can pick up routers for so cheaply or free these days it really doesn't seem worth the hassle...

It's possible you've got a firewall / security software in the way that's doing something strange - but beyond disabling them temporarily to check whether that fixes the issue, I really would just get a router! :)

The problem is that i am using cable by Timewarner. I called their tech support and they have no earthly clue what models of Cable Internet routers are out there.

Besides i am also learning and doing it myself at the same time. If i can learn how to connect two PCs, i can connect my 2 printers, one high speed dual side DVD writer, one webcam and software+desktop sharing capabilities. It will make my life much easier. I dont have to keep switching these devices from one to another.

Any better suggestions?

Sorry but I think getting a router is going to be your best bet. The router will connect to your existing modem and then your computers will connect to your router. With a router, you'll be able to do printer sharing so that will be taken care of.

I don't know a whole lot about ICS but I don't think there is a way to share a DVD/Webcam/Software. But with a router you'll be able to set up like VNC or remote desktop and access one or the other that way.

The problem is that i am using cable by Timewarner. I called their tech support and they have no earthly clue what models of Cable Internet routers are out there.

They actually know a lot, but play dumb so they can get you to buy one of theirs. They sell you the same ones you can buy but they charge a lot more. Any router out on the market now will work with timewarner.

As for a better solution. The router is your best solution unless you want to spend a lot more and set up a physical server at your residence.

That's the impression i am getting. Instead of helping me out with the main problem, these people keep steering me in the direction of buying a router. Interlinked networks on windows XP are extremely reliable and provide the capabilities of sharing network, printer, communication and media devices and the desktops themselves...

This is totally shameful, how no one is willing to help me with a very simple question.

Solved my own problem. For those of you, who are running cable/DSL and want to share internet connection among several computers at home, this is the way to do it. For wireless and wired ICS (internet connection sharing).
When you have hard wired main computer to your DSL/Cable modem, enable wireless on both PCS. On main computer (the hard wired one),

1. In Control Panel, double-click Network and Dial-Up Connections.
2. Right-click the connection you want to share (In our case, Local Area Connection is to be shared), and then click Properties.
3. Click the Sharing tab, and then click to select the Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this connection check box.
4. If the connection you are sharing is a Dial-up connection and you want the connection to dial automatically when another computer on your home network attempts to use external resources, click to select the Enable on-demand dialing check box.

I'm sorry. I guess I was assuming you had already set it up and it wasn't working or wasn't being reliable enough for you.

Back
Top Bottom