Spontaneous Black Screen

Colin2238

Beta member
Hello all
over the past 3 days a weird symptom has shown up on my computer...about every 2-6 min my screen will go black for about 3 secs. It looks exactly like when it goes into screen saver mode but the light on the monitor doesnt change showing its off. I downloaded and updated my drivers today and no change. Im scared my computer is finally dying lol.

Rig:
AMD Athlon 64 dual core 6000+ 3.1ghz
2 gigs ddr400 mushkin ram
Windows XP sp2
160 gig Hitachi HDD 7200rpm sata2
8800gts 320mb

Thank you for any advice.

Check your computer's temperatures to make sure no components are overheating, especially the GPU.

Check your PSU's voltages in BIOS too. Make sure that all the voltages are within .12-.16 of what they are supposed to be.

If everything checks out at this point, Put in a spare GPU if you have one and see if the problem resolves. If no, then we'll go from there.

All Bios Voltages check out but I cant find a decent piece of software to read my GPU temps....I did sit around and played Lord of the Rings Online for over a hr with no issues. However every other game (Mostly Source engine) causes my monitor to turn black almost instantly. I have my brother shipping me his old 8600gt to see if that might work.

Just odd how its being selective of the symptoms

If the symptoms occur most frequently when it's doing heavy graphical work (such as playing intensive 3D games) then that would make me think it's a GPU issue - perhaps a temperature related one, but if you've got a card on the way then it makes sense to try that out and see if it sorts the issue before doing anything major :)

Back
Top Bottom