Windows 7

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
Just picked up a free Windows 7 Ultimate and here are my two cents:

Seems to be a slightly slimmer version of windows vista. They took out a lot of crap that people never used in the first place. (calendar, ect)

Visually, it's still very similar to Vista.

There were some problems. After a day, the mouse started lagging and jumping, but a restart solved it. Also moving the "weather gadget" from windows gadget around my desktop is a bit laggy too.

Personally for me, vista wasn't too much of a resource hog. Ram usage for vista was around 30% and for windows 7 it hovers around 27%. But CPU activity seem a lot less in windows 7.

The restore points for 7 are a lot smaller than those in vista. Takes up a lot less space (don't use them anyways)

There are more aesthetic features in windows 7
-> different themes/startup sounds
-> shaking the browser windows them to make them disappear
-> tabs in the preview in the taskbar
personally I don't care for that stuff, but a nice touch.

Windows 7 is faster. Or maybe i think it's faster cuz everyone says so.
It does seem more lightweight and doesn't bog down my system as much as vista when I'm opening multiple apps
-> transitions also seem smoother when browsing through folders/start menu.

Originally had some concerns about drivers, compatibility issues with applications, but it seems like companies are keeping up with windows 7 compatibility.

It's a 64 bit so I can finally recognize my 4gb ram :D

I can disable IE 8

So far I'm liking it. Nothing has popped up and destroyed my computer yet. Personally I could've lived with vista (but I would have to repair/reinstall vista after 6 months due to bsods, random lag, corrupt window files, and basically vista not performing up to snuff)

So far those are the differences I've noticed.

So what are your opinions CF?

I think it's faster than XP, as well as Vista.

In my experience, programs that crashed on XP because of running out of memory NEVER crashed on 7. I was using 2 gigs of ram on both operating systems.

Heh, I didn't even know about the shaking of the windows lol.

Benchmarks at places like CNET.com have shown that it is around the same performance as vista. Startup time and shutdown times are similar as well.

However the OS does use less resources to get the same performance so that is a plus.

I also like the new taskbar and some of the new functions of the OS, which I've never really cared about OS functions in previous versions. Just a bunch of small things but they're nice, and im actually noticing it performing quite better than Vista was.

One of my systems is having driver issues with it if I try to run at native resolution on the onboard graphics, but I'm getting a new GPU for that system anyway so won't have anything to complain about then.

Window 7 is recommended by the father of linux ,so I really want to check it out,but didn`t get any address to get it

i have a question. i build my pc and everything and installed the xp oem os. how would i get w7?? could i get teh oem version of w7 and just reformat to have a clear hd and install that one?? i hope ppl get what i am trying to explain, ask me a question, and please give me a link to something that would work in order to get w7.....thanks!!

I think the new mac-os-resembling taskbar allignment is nice, and the split-screen app for multitaking is neat, and the sleek new wallpapers and the increased efficiency is definitely a huge plus.

Props to Microsoft for W7.

i have a question. i build my pc and everything and installed the xp oem os. how would i get w7?? could i get teh oem version of w7 and just reformat to have a clear hd and install that one?? i hope ppl get what i am trying to explain, ask me a question, and please give me a link to something that would work in order to get w7.....thanks!!

Windows 7 OEM for System Builders - $106.99

Windows 7 Home Premium UPGRADE (requires previous version of Windows) - $114.99
For the 2nd one, I'm not sure if you can upgrade from Windows XP, you might have to have Windows Vista.

I'm also not sure that reformatting and using the OEM version would work.

I'm also not sure that reformatting and using the OEM version would work.
Why wouldn't it work?

You can upgrade from XP to windows 7, however there's no direct upgrade path - you'd need to format first.

Back
Top Bottom