2 computers, 1 monitor and other things…help?

grace_slick

Beta member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes…

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just need a bit of advice and even some ultra basic step by step instructions on how to set this up…

I will be working from home for the next 2 weeks, and my office wants me to take home my work PC that I've been using here in the office for the past 3 years. It saves having to transfer everything over onto my own home PC and there's some sort of security issue too apparently.

In any case, I need to get a KMV switch so I can use my home PC and my work PC connected to my monitor, keyboard and mouse at home.

This bit I'm ok with, and I'm sure my work will pay for this switch.

What I'm not sure about are the following:-

1. If I get a KMV switch, where exactly does it plug in? I assume it is a USB type thing that plugs into my home PC, and then my work PC is also plugged into it. I've heard that apparently the work PC's monitor cable (not plugged into any monitor obviously) goes into the KMV switch also.

2. Am I able to use EVERYTHING that's connected to each PC? Meaning, when I'm switched over to my home PC, can I use every single thing that's connected to it? Even if some of them aren't USB connections? My printer and speakers aren't USB, and when I'm switched to my work PC, I need the printer also (connected to the home PC and not USB, as previously stated) as well as my dictaphone box pedal which is connected to the work PC and also not USB. Can these things be used ok, or can I only use things that are connected by USB?

3. I have naked DSL broadband at home, and my modem/router is connected via wireless USB dongle adaptor to my home PC (my PC is too far away from the phone socket to run the cable to it). I would still need this net access on my home PC, but I'll also need the same net access on my work PC when working from home. Is it ok to buy another wireless dongle adaptor and simply plug it into a USB port on the work PC? And then both dongles can receive the signals from the modem (depending of course which one I'm using on the KMV switch)? Is that right, or am I missing something?

4. Is there a better brand of switch than others? Are there any known problems or issues with these switches? I need it to be reliable, as I'm working from home and need to be able to work properly obviously.

Thanks so much!!

can't offer much advice as I don't have any experience with KVM switches, but I just wanted to say welcome :)

Basically, your keyboard, mouse and monitor will be plugged into the KVM switch main input and the outputs coming from the KVM switch will be plugged into the appropriate ports on your PCs. Before you buy a KVM switch, check to see what kind of connectors are on your mouse and keyboard because this will determine what kind of KVM should be purchased. If your keyboard and mouse have USB connections, then get a KVM switch that supports that. If the connections are PS2, make sure the KVM switch supports PS2. Be aware that this will not network your two PCs in any way. The only things that will be shared are the monitor, keyboard and mouse (and speakers possibly on certain KVM switches). You will not be able to share anything else between the two using the KVM switch. You can network the two using the wireless USB adapter you described and possibly share files and printers and such. Any other USB devices will most likely need to be physically switched between the two PCs.

If you get a USB KVM I'm sure you could use a USB hub with it and share other USB devices that way, however that is just theory as I've never tried it. A general KVM switch just has plugs for a keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I've seen a few with audio as well. If you happen to be like me where you still rock a PS/2 keyboard, but have a USB mouse, you can get a PS/2 to USB converter for the keyboard and get a USB KVM. Beware of some KVMs. I've seen reviews that said they made the video laggy or worse looking.

Hey, and thanks for such useful and welcoming posts!! :)

I understand much more now, and think things will work out ok in terms of this setup...I THINK my keyboard is USB. I know my mouse is. Pretty sure the keyboard is too. I'll check.

Thanks so much again for your help!! :)

If you get a USB KVM I'm sure you could use a USB hub with it and share other USB devices that way, however that is just theory as I've never tried it. A general KVM switch just has plugs for a keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I've seen a few with audio as well. If you happen to be like me where you still rock a PS/2 keyboard, but have a USB mouse, you can get a PS/2 to USB converter for the keyboard and get a USB KVM. Beware of some KVMs. I've seen reviews that said they made the video laggy or worse looking.

Yes some do,though i bought a cheap one on ebay and swapped the VGA Cables with decent ones and i dont have that problem anymore (With the cheap VGA Cables you get Ghosting).

Ok, now, what does “ghosting” actually mean? Is it just on the screen or is it some other issue I don't know about?

I think I just want a standard USB KVM switch…and can I just clarify yet again…

- I'd plug my home PC into this switch via USB only? (everything else remains plugged in as it already is now?)
- Re the above, can I plug the switch into the USB hub attached to my home PC, or is it best to plug it directly into the PC using one of the USB ports there?
- I plug my work PC into the switch also via USB
- I also plug the monitor lead coming from the work PC box into the switch? (or is this unnecessary?)
- I obviously have both PCs plugged into mains power

And that's it? And I can use the mouse, keyboard and monitor for both PCs and switch back and forth when I want?

Me again, lol

See this switch here…is this any good?

http://www.oo.com.au/Belkin_2-Port_....cfm?gclid=CI2lm4Wl650CFZMwpAodJTqYOw&afid=18

Also, I notice it's got an 2 USB inputs (for both PCs) and a monitor input (for the work PC?), but then it's also got those cables…and 2 of them are USB (not sure what these are for) and 2 are monitor ones…what does this mean? Where do these go?

Back
Top Bottom