PSU Question.

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Ok so what do yall think the PSU req will be for the 5870x2?

for the Single GPU 5870 it is req to use a 500W or greater PSU.

and what about Crossfiring 2 5870x2's in 'quadfire'

what would you recond to be the PSU req then?

Can someone give me a good PSU that should handle a single 5870x2?
and maybe one for a crossfire of dual 5870x2s?

This is purely Food For Thought for me, for the future.

Sex on a PCB

I'm not very good with circuitry and electricity, but I'll give you my 2c. You really want to look at the amps on the 12V rail. I would say 45A for a single 5780x2 and 60A for a 5780x2 "quadfire". Look at PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, OCZ, and Antec. They tend to have quality PSUs.

I'm not very good with circuitry and electricity, but I'll give you my 2c. You really want to look at the amps on the 12V rail. I would say 45A for a single 5780x2 and 60A for a 5780x2 "quadfire". Look at PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, OCZ, and Antec. They tend to have quality PSUs.

Good Thoughts.

I am considering a new biuld down the road, in a year or so? Built around the New 'octo' cores from AMD or what ever they decide to do, and a 'quadfire' build. Maybe Eye-infinity aswell with 6 thin bezelled screens. This is all just an idea, ofcourse.

I know you also have to pay attention to the number of +12V rails, but I'm not 100% sure on how that works.

Along with the obvious thing wattage, there is amps like Joga mentioned, and another thing that I think would be pertinent to you would be the number of PCIE connectors. While it is possible to use a 2x molex to 6 pin PCIE adaptor, I feel its better to just use the "real thing". I'm not sure what the connectors will be like on the 5870 x2, but I assume it will be something similar to the 4870 x2 or the gtx 295, where the card will require either two 6 pins or one 6 and one 8, some might even require more. For example I know EVGA's new classified GTX 285 requires 3x 6 pins. What you would want to do before you buy is find out the number of PCIE connectors(pay attention to # of 6 pin and 8 pin) that two 5870 x2's would require, then make sure that the power supply you will purchase has that many connectors.

On a side note, I would think that you would need a decent 750 watt - 850 watt for a single 5870 x2, and then maybe close to a 1200 watt psu for two 5870 x2's in quadfire. Unfortunately a 1200 watt psu is going to be VERY expensive. It might be more economical to buy two seperate psu's(purchase a case that can hold two like the HAF 932 for example) and use one for your system and the other just for the cards. Maybe something like a 500 watt for your system(MB, CPU, HD's, fans, etc.) and then a 600-700 watt just for the graphics cards. Again, I'm not 100% sure on what your power requirements will be, so those wattages are just rough estimates, and again it will come down to other things like amps too.

Hope this helps,
SPEEDemon

Back
Top Bottom