Ordering a new PC and need advice on the graphics card

zepherman

Beta member
Hi,

I'm in the process of ordering a brand new desktop PC and am curious if a 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 is a much better card than a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850. The PC I'm wanting to order is an HP Pavilion Elite e9280t series and strangely only 3 days ago their website had the 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 available as a configuration option. Now it's no longer available, and the top graphics card option they have is the 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850.

So my question is, if I just go ahead and order the PC with the 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 (the only option), am I going to take a major hit performance wise over the 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 that was available?

Thanks in advance.:)

Seth

First of all you won't need the 1.8GB VRAM bandwidth unless you're running at abnormally large resolutions, which, if you're buying a GTX 260 or HD 4850, I doubt your budget is allowing a very large monitor.

As per performance, its neck and neck. Personally I'd choose the HD 4850, but I'd also concede that the GTX 260 would probably slightly outperform it.

Will you notice a difference? No.

Thank you very much for the info.:) The 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 will most likely work very well for my needs so I went ahead and ordered the PC.

Thanks again!

Seth

wHAT?
did you just say the 4850 and 260 are equals?

more like the 4870 and 260 are equals.

the 4850 equal is the 250...

Oo

wHAT?
did you just say the 4850 and 260 are equals?

more like the 4870 and 260 are equals.

the 4850 equal is the 250...

Oo

Wow, I did didn't I?

Shit my bad, that's somewhat of a more noticeable difference.

It was probably listed as much cheaper than the GTX 260 anyway, and should still fit his needs, so no real harm done.

Yeah good catch though can't believe I was thinking of the wrong one.

Back
Top Bottom