Loading Windows 7 for a dummy

todddr

Beta member
Hi all, I'm looking for guidance. I am wanting to load Windows 7 Pro on to my Dell e1505 laptop which is currently running Vista Home Premium. I am no computer expert. I am a student, so was able to purchase 7 pretty cheap ($30). Had a choice of either just an upgrade of Vista HP to 7 HP, or could get Pro for the same price. From what I had seen online, I'd be stupid to not just get the Pro for the same price. However, I did also see that loading Pro would necessitate a 'complete' software load, involving backing up my current files, etc.
I am confused, however, about how this all works. I downloaded a "step by step" tutorial from the Microsoft site, but many questions come to mind:
1) Doing the initial backup: It looks like "windows easy transfer" is pretty easy; but it says to use an external hard disk to save to. Is that really necessary? I can't save to DVDs using my built-in DVD player/recorder?
2) I have a couple disks from Dell from when I got the computer, of course those were preloaded. I assume I need to load those after the Windows 7 load is done?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Yes you can put your data wherever you want. As long as it's backed up somewhere.

I am also going to assume about your software here but everyone knows what happens when you 'assume'. I'm going to assume that you'll be able to reload the disks (what are they?) but I'm not 100% since it is not the same OS if they will work. I've never tried it I guess.

Back
Top Bottom