Win7 Partition Advice Needed

brandonj

Solid State Member
I'm not looking for software suggestions, just curious to see what everyone thinks would be the best way to go about repartitioning my PC.

When I originally set this PC up I had made some of my partition sizes funky, is there anyway to resize them even though my OS files are in one of the particular partitions I want to resize?

Maybe if I do them at boot up?

Just looking for some tips before I do this.

Thanks

Try this. Download and burn to CD. Boot from CD and use partitioning program to resize your partitions.

I believe you have to defrag all of the partitions before you can resize them. Even so, you might not be able to resize your current OS partition. So what you'll have to do is create a new partition for W7. Install windows 7 there. Then delete the partition with the old OS and increase other partitions to your liking using the resulting unallocated space.

I used PartedMagic 4.5 to resize partitions; it works wonderfully.

Ya I use partition wizard.

I said I didn't want a list of programs :p but thanks anyways.

I just wanted to be lazy and keep all my software including my OS installed, you know, without having to wipe completely.

But I guess not :(

Thanks!

Ya I use partition wizard.

I said I didn't want a list of programs :p but thanks anyways.

I just wanted to be lazy and keep all my software including my OS installed, you know, without having to wipe completely.

But I guess not :(

Thanks!

You can resize and move partitions with Parted Magic and still keep all your data/OS intact. Not necessary to delete or format partitions...

Isnt there a partition tool right in windows 7.

All you have to do is just shrink the current partition and create a new volume. I think its under disk management. I beleive you can also get rid of partitions in here as well just transfer your files to the partition you want to keep or resize and then combine the volumes.

Edit*** CLICK HERE For a step by step on creating new partitions. The rest is basically just combining the ones you don't want to use with the ones you do.

Isnt there a partition tool right in windows 7.

All you have to do is just shrink the current partition and create a new volume. I think its under disk management.

Yeah, you're right. But I've found that tool to be picky about what it will let you move/resize.

Back
Top Bottom