Monitor doesnt work..

flxjones

BSOD
hello. i just bought a used 501 Inspiron laptop for $30 because the monitor doesn't work. when I press the power button, i can hear the laptop boot for like a couple of seconds (nothing on the monitor tho) and then it shuts off. I can also hear the fan go off. Ive also noticed that the monitor is somewhat loose from one side (not much tho). What do you guys think it may be.....? thanks!

Well the first thing I would do is hook it up to an external monitor. At least you can see how far it boots. Then I'd see about reloading it and see if that takes care of the not-booting issue.

sorry but what do you mean reloading in? do you think there might me like a loose cable or something?

someone help... please??

but i think it has something to do with the monitor. the laptop turns on for a second or two and then automatically shuts off

Why do you think it's got anything to do with the monitor if it turns itself off? I'd say that was possibly the least likely thing to be causing that issue!

I agree that the most likely option is either a PSU or motherboard failure, perhaps even a CPU issue. Whatever it is it does sound like a lost cause to me... if it's not even turning on for a few seconds it's probably not even posting, let alone getting to the stage where it tries to boot from somewhere.

^Agreed but I didn't want to go that far until we could see what was happening on an external monitor but i figured we would get to that at some point.

try to constantly start it up over 5 minutes, i used to have a problem like this where my 1501 wouldnt boot up when it had been off for more than 30 minutes

try to constantly start it up over 5 minutes, i used to have a problem like this where my 1501 wouldnt boot up when it had been off for more than 30 minutes

In that case for that PC, it was probably a Heat issue, this is something different.

Back
Top Bottom