Random Chit Chat

So I got a new harddrive some time ago. Samsung Spinpoint F3 500Gb(great, fast drive!). And I have my 2 other 250Gb drives, that have a lot of my files on them still. So I wanted to clean them up. For some reason, windows wouldn't let me format one. So after taking everything I wanted off, I just went to root, and selected everything, and deleted it. Now, there is nothing on the drive... but it only has 175Gb free of 218Gb. Wierd huh? Windows wastes to much extra space, lol

@Grant: I personally use PartedMagic. It loads up a Linux based shells and creates an "OS" from which you can do your partitioning and monitoring. It works like a charm.

@Superman: That's pretty weird considering Windows has already converted 1000MB (market GB) to 1024 (GB) as the units of memory. If anything, the drive should say 217.9/218GB free (usually a little space is lost).

just be careful what you do in g parted it is very easy to mess up your hard drive I got the invalid partition table several times and had to do a complete reformat also, set aside a whole day that you don't need to use the computer because depending on the amount of files that have to be moved it can take 12 hours or more

Yeah Excactly though that applies to anything you to do your computer that's that evasive,always backups files otherwise when you least expect it you'll lose everything!

@Grant: I personally use PartedMagic. It loads up a Linux based shells and creates an "OS" from which you can do your partitioning and monitoring. It works like a charm.

@Superman: That's pretty weird considering Windows has already converted 1000MB (market GB) to 1024 (GB) as the units of memory. If anything, the drive should say 217.9/218GB free (usually a little space is lost).
Oh, I forgot, I had partitioned 14gb off to something else. The total of the 250gb drive is 232gb or so. But why did some just disapear? It's saying in "My Computer" that it's full, but nothing is on the drive, ha. I gotta boot into a windows disk or something and format it.

Oh, I forgot, I had partitioned 14gb off to something else. The total of the 250gb drive is 232gb or so. But why did some just disapear? It's saying in "My Computer" that it's full, but nothing is on the drive, ha. I gotta boot into a windows disk or something and format it.

You can format it other ways =P
I have had recent issues, dual booting ubuntu on another computer.
(no not Wubi)

Forcing me to rearrange partitions all over.

Back
Top Bottom