Wireless energy

Yeah that would be the ultimate use for wireless energy!

Yep. An electric car that actually have some getup and go would be amazing. The honda insight, the fuel cell car on the west coast has a 0-60 of 14 seconds or so, and that could make for some really really scary slow merges on the highways. My mom's van could only get up a hill at 30 MPH at a merge on a highway, even with the throttle wide open. That'd be really really scary with traffic....... and it has a 0-60 of like 8.

I thought of something like this several years ago... glad some one took it some ware.
You're claiming to be the one that first thought of wireless electricity? Forgive me for being slightly sceptical, but...

Ah I see how his design works. It's nothing but a low powered EMF.
Low powered EMF?! It's rather high powered actually... and while the principle is simple (this is a widely known fact) the implementation is a lot more complicated than you're making out ;)

We've been able to transmit energy wirelessly for years - it's perfectly possible for example to make a basic AM radio that works with no batteries, and has been for decades. This is the same principle you're seeing here, it's working on the transfer of energy. The difference is whereas before there was no way to control the dispersion of energy, they've now developed an antenna design that fires it out in a very controlled and directional manner, and the delivered power is far more concentrated as a result.

You're claiming to be the one that first thought of wireless electricity? Forgive me for being slightly sceptical, but...

Low powered EMF?! It's rather high powered actually... and while the principle is simple (this is a widely known fact) the implementation is a lot more complicated than you're making out ;)

We've been able to transmit energy wirelessly for years - it's perfectly possible for example to make a basic AM radio that works with no batteries, and has been for decades. This is the same principle you're seeing here, it's working on the transfer of energy. The difference is whereas before there was no way to control the dispersion of energy, they've now developed an antenna design that fires it out in a very controlled and directional manner, and the delivered power is far more concentrated as a result.

By all means I did not mean to make my sentences to sound simple.
This is a very complicated and brain boggling to most method of transferring energy.
Yes we have or most of us have seen the famous light build lit across the room trick.
Yes it does have very high power range. But this is a rather low EMF when you think about it. I mean with enough juice you could fry someone with a high powered EMF.
Of course it is more than something you would find radiating from an power extension cord.

I seem to remember a while (about 8 years ago) IBM launched something like this as a server concept called cubes.
basically each server was a cube, you had a base plate or chassis, (much like blades).

but to add servers all you did was just add a box on top of the rack, it then drew power wirelessly from the rack, (and data connections).
want another server, just put one on top of the existing server. and so on...

best example of how cool this can be I think has to be here!

http://bea.st/sight/lightbulb/

but to add servers all you did was just add a box on top of the rack, it then drew power wirelessly from the rack, (and data connections).
want another server, just put one on top of the existing server. and so on...
Hadn't heard of that actually, sounds pretty neat though!

In my mind what's stopped this taking off so far is the short range (which works well for the above application but not for most things) and the low efficiency. Now that it seems both those problems have been sorted out - I'm really hoping this goes somewhere :)

Back
Top Bottom