System freezes when selecting to boot from CD or USB drive..going crazy

sm40oztofreedom

Solid State Member
So I was one of the lucky ones to download windows 7 64 bit pro student upgrade only to have it not install upgrading from 32 bit xp. I read about how you can create a bootable USB or DVD from the files. After doing this i created my windows 7 ISO and made my bootable USB stick. So everything works and I get into the windows 7 install. I have 3 hard drives and when it came up to pick which partition to install it to i wasnt 100% sure because of 2 similar hard drive sizes. I picked the one i thought it would be which is not my primary hard drive with windows just an extra one for storage, which happened to have an old copy of windows on it. When the install started I noticed it was trying to copy files from my old obsolete version of windows XP. As soon as i noticed this i canceled the installation, and exited out so I could restart it and format the partition first. This is where i am now stuck. No matter what i do i cannot get it to boot from a DVD or USB stick. I can press nothing and it boots to XP fine and everything works as it used to (as im typing this from my computer on XP now). When i hit f10 to go to the boot menu and hit boot from USB the light on the USB lights up for about a second then my computer freezes. I tried this about 50 times with diff ports and it freezes every time. Then i figured maybe if i make a boot DVD that will work.. and again the dvd light lights up and computer freezes. Then i figured it was the files on the DVD or USB so i tried booting up from my old XP recovery DVD. Still freezes..Doesnt get anywhere past selecting the boot from DVD option. Ive tried everything at this point and give up. Please help me. I want 7!

Just to confirm it's an issue with booting from external media and nothing to do with windows, can you download / burn something like the ultimate boot CD and try and boot from that?

Just to confirm it's an issue with booting from external media and nothing to do with windows, can you download / burn something like the ultimate boot CD and try and boot from that?

OK here is an update. I dont know if this had anything to do with it but previously i had a dual boot windows and linux (opensuse) and my computer usually boots up to GRUB. I never use linux so i deleted the partition from windows. Once i restarted i was left with the error 22 and couldnt boot to windows because there was no grub. I got my windows xp install dvd to boot up and get to the recovery console to do the fixmbr. Now when I tried to boot from the windows 7 DVD i created it saw it but wouldn't boot gave me an error, and trying from the USB stick still freezes. I just don't get it because the USB and DVD are clones of each other and the USB worked the first time i tried.

Back
Top Bottom