Police cite drivers who don't speak English

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
http://news.aol.com/article/dallas-police-cite-drivers-who-dont/735298

I don't know what to say about this.

Ok, maybe I do. These people were legal citizens of our great country. They should understand English well enough to carry on a conversation with a police officer, or anyone for that matter.

I realize it is very hard to learn a new language for some people. For me, it it is the exact opposite. But many people never fully understand a foreign language. Hell, a lot of people don't fully understand their native language.

But I wish a day came when this country had an official national language. As of now, we have none. Sure, English is our primary language, but Spanish is catching up.. Too fast. Would I like to go to my Mexican restaraunt and be able to order in Spanish? Sure, why not. Would I like to go to Taco Bell, KFC, McDonalds, or other places like this and order in Spanish? The answer is NO.

Opinions?

Well, I don't think it's right for the people who came to America not knowing English so their kids can have a nice, decent life, and be a typical American dream chasers.

I am an immigrant in America, I was born in Venezuela, and my parents learned Spanish because of it, my mom still remember parts of it, and my dad knows it fully. However, my parents only knows English at an elementary level, so they can't really communicate, and needs me to help them translate. My dad knows Cantonese (an dialect of Chinese), Spanish, and a bit of English, while my mom knows Mandarin (another dialect of Chinese), Cantonese, and a bit of English. So they both speak over 2 languages, which in my opinion is better than me, I only know English, and a bit of Cantonese.

You should know what's my side of opinion in this matter by now.

I don't even need to read that link to know that if I Mexican wants to live here, they should speak English, period. Thats the language of this Nation, so speak it.

I also realize that America is made up of immigrants from everywhere and is a giant cluster fawk of people. But, this country has been established long enough to have a primary and official language. If you wanna live here, speak it like the rest of us. How do you expect to live here if you cant talk to anyone else? I mean, REALLY NOW??

Example; when I went to get my motorcycle endorsement license, I was looking over some stuff at the DOL. You can take either a test in English or Spanish here. I know there are more options elsewhere, but thats not hte point. The point is that how in the hell are you supposed to drive in this country, read road signs and street names (granted road signs are also made in color and shape, NOT THE POINT) when you cant even take your driving test in the language of this Country. Its ridiculous. I could say numerious other things too. Like what if one of the Mexicans around here needed to call 911, and there was no bi-lingual dispatcher. Then what? Huh. Its stupid. When I call customer service somewhere, I shouldn't have to press 1 for English. Its my damn country and my language, and we are catering to everyone else. We cant run a country for every damn language out there. I can't beleive the President doesn't have to learn Spanish. :rolleyes:

I also realize that America is made up of immigrants from everywhere and is a giant cluster fawk of people. But, this country has been established long enough to have a primary and official language. If you wanna live here, speak it like the rest of us. How do you expect to live here if you cant talk to anyone else? I mean, REALLY NOW??

So then if some US residents want to live in other countries, they should spend a couple to few years to learn that language before they should actually buy the ticket to move there? What about doing business and you need to reside there for a few months?
A lot of people don't have the self-motivation to learn an different language, or even have the money to pay for lessons. Places like Hong Kong and Japan started to have English almost everywhere, heck, even learning English is mandatory in Japan.

That's just disrespectful, maybe because I am an immigrant, and these things affects my life. This is one reason why I don't want to live in the US. Don't worry, my parents are moving back to China once I graduate college and get a successful job, so that's two less people you have to worry about, and maybe me if I still continue to get discriminated against, although I might have a hard time communicating with them like how my parents are now.

So much about having the American dream. But don't forget, you are also an immigrant. I don't blame any of this on any of you by the way, it's just how we were raised.

I think they should be able to speak English to live here, but you should able to live here without speaking it. You do have to speak it to get a driver's license though, right?

Teny makes a very good point. And ArrizX makes a very good point. But really, let's not play the hypocrites here. If you intend to live in America, learn english; If you intend to live in a different country, learn its respective language. It's ok for vacationers and things of the sort, but what really pisses me off is when people start going to different countries or coming to America and expect the natives to learn the language they carry with them that may not be native to the country. I remember my 8th grade Spanish teacher making the class learn the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO AMERICA in /SPANISH/. It was simply unacceptable and you better damn well believe I make it clear to her. But as I said, I'm not playing on the "do as I say, not as I do" theme here. There are plenty of Americans that do the same thing. Every country should have its own language and anyone that intends to live there for 6 months or longer should at least give learning the language a decent shot.

I agree that people who come to America should have SOME knowledge of English or some means of being able to communicate.
For example, at my church we often have missionaries who do not speak fluent English. What some of them do is bring electronic translators, usually a small pda type device. They type in there native language, select the language they want it translated to. Viola it is now English. Most of them I have played with also will teach the person how to say it.

Do I believe that people should HAVE to completely speak English if they come to America?
No, I do not.
But I also have a strong view on school systems teaching our youth foreign language and having it a requirement.
Just as if we went to a different country, we would usually have to speak in the native tongue. They should too.
On the other hand I don't believe they should be fined or punished if they can not.

If someone is pulled over by an officer which, can not communicate properly with the suspect. A translator of some sort should be called to the scene immediately.

So then if some US residents want to live in other countries, they should spend a couple to few years to learn that language before they should actually buy the ticket to move there? What about doing business and you need to reside there for a few months?
A lot of people don't have to self-motivation to learn an different language, or even have the money to pay for lessons. Places like Hong Kong and Japan started to have English almost everywhere, heck, even learning English is mandatory in Japan.

That's just disrespectful, maybe because I am an immigrant, and these things affects my life. This is one reason why I don't want to live in the US. Don't worry, my parents are moving back to China once I graduate college and get a successful job, so that's two less people you have to worry about, and maybe me if I still continue to get discriminated against, although I might have a hard time communicating with them like how my parents are now.

So much about having the American dream. But don't forget, you are also an immigrant. I don't blame any of this on any of you by the way, it's just how we were raised.

I'm not trying to offend, you. But yes if I wanted to move anywhere else in this world I would want to know how to talk to them. So I would speak that language but I have no desire to ever do that, or leave here.

And yeah they don't just affect your life, but they affect mine too. Ever try talking to someone who can't speak your language period, or who has to speak it through their kid?

As for the other country mandating that they need to speak our language; thats fine and good for them but I don't really care. I didn't make them do that and its smart on their part because we are the superpower, we are who everyone trades with and where everyone wants to come. They got smart to speak our language; the Mexicans need to learn the same.

Honestly i'm not prejudice against Mexicans, but I only know of them to compare too. There are 56% Mexicans in my town, the remainder white, and no other.

Not the point.

What is the language that everyone actually speaks? What do you speak?

Back
Top Bottom