Advice on swapping Intel e6420 CPU for an AMD or Intel 64-bit processor

wayne_wright

Beta member
I need some advice. I am running MS Vista on an Intel e6420 dual core 32-bit processor. I am getting ready to upgrade to Windows-7 and would prefer to run the 64-bit version of the OS. Is it possible to simply replace the Intel e6420 processor with a 64-bit processor from AMD or Intel and everything will work fine? I don't know what the socket form for the Intel e6420 is, or if there are 64-bit processors that use the same socket form.

If a simple swap of processors is possible, can you recommend an AMD or Intel processor that will work? If I change processors, will there be any compatibility issues with RAM or bus?

Thanks

you'll need an intel processor that is compatible with the LGA 775 socket(if i'm not mistaken. if you want something really high end then go for a core 2 quad

All of the Intel Core2 series should have EM64T. (Intel's 64bit instruction set)
Though, as said, if you still wish to upgrade, it will have to be an LGA775 Intel processor and match the Front Side Bus spec of your motherboard, which I would assume is 1066MHz. And the board has to feature a chipset that can support Quad cores if you plan to upgrade to one of those.

Back
Top Bottom