PC part transfer

ace777

Fully Optimized
I have an old server, It has an OS installed and tons of files, I have Vista on the computer I want to transfer it on the old one had XP. Can I transfer the HDD and read the files on it or will I have to format it or what can I do to use it without lossing all of the data on the hard drive guise.

If they both use the same cable (ide or sata) should be able to boot on one and browse the other and pull what files you want off of it. Just set the Vista drive to master.

ok thanks lewis, and to rephrase what I said was I have an existing computer ( vista) and an old hard drive (XP) and they are both SATA HDDs and I want to take the old one from the XP and put it in the Vista computer and take the files I want from it and add more files to it, If I do this will I have to refresh the file system or format or do anything to get it back to where I can use it again man.

Yeah you should be able to copy file from it just like from a thumb drive or something. Not sure how you set the master drive with SATA though...

You'll just need to plug the second drive in, then tell your bios which is which. It'll run the second drive pretty much plug and play and you'll be able to use it as if it was any other common removable storage.

You'll just need to plug the second drive in, then tell your bios which is which. It'll run the second drive pretty much plug and play and you'll be able to use it as if it was any other common removable storage.

That is correct; SATA has no master and slave settings (thatis the beauty of individual cables for the drives). It is usually completely plug and play

Back
Top Bottom