Win7 and vista

Air

In Runtime
i have an oem copy of vista ultimate that came with an upgrade coupon. i was wondering if i can upgrade to Win7 and then reinstall vista for a dual boot? im thinking that there would be problems with the licenses. thanks for any input.

all programs compatible with vista should be compatible with windows 7...

if you run into trouble there is a compatibility mode.

as for licensing...

I don't think that this will be an issue, if you buy windows 7 you have downgrade rights for vista and XP, (I think all MS os's come with this).
and if it's on the same machine you;ll only be using 1 os at any given time.

Hmm, the licensing clearly states that you can only install one of the two OS's, hence UPGRADE. I don't know the exact wording, but I do know because I went and found out when I wanted to know. It's in the EULA anyway.

Outwith the licensing aggreement though, theres nothing stopping you installing in on the same machine on two seperate partitions. Just as long as you know what your doing and that you are confortable with it.

And just one point, why would you want too? 7 is designed to be completely backwards compatitable with Vista, hence the reason why the kernel is even labeled as version 6.x.xxxx, like vista, yet it's hugely different. This is only so that programs checking the version of windows thinks it's the same family as vista.

I see the point in keeping a XP installation somewhere, just incase you've an old App that don't work or a 16bit oldie program you need to use. But not Vista.

Thats my 2P. Best of luck, lol.

Back
Top Bottom