I installed the wrong ram :(

bobsuncle

Solid State Member
Hello, I purchased some ram from newegg. I could have sworn I purchased 1333 but I guess I purchased 1600.

As I thought these sticks were 1333, I just threw them in and booted the computer. Well It doesn't boot anymore. It doesn't post, and only displays 1 of 4 LEDs. I took them out and put the old memory in and it is still doing the same thing. The next thing I did was clear BIOS. The motherboard is an MSI 770-C45

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks!

To reset BIOS I changed the CMOS jumper to the clear data placement

Hmmm.. At the same time I had also installed a 2nd graphics card which is a PCI GPU. I took it out when i replaced the memory with my old sticks and it's still doing the same thing.

I have to work 10 hours a day 7 days a week and i can't have this happen right now. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I thought that since my mobo supports 1600 OC that i need to change the speed, latencies, and voltage to use 1600 ram. Since I didn't, could I have ruined the power supply? Because I THINK the one flashing LED means there is a power problem. But I'm not sure, I can't find something that tells me what the LED light codes mean. The manual doesn't say anything about them, except 1 light means cpu is in 1 phase power mode and 4 lights mean cpu is in 4 phase power mode. I don't know what this means so this doesn't really help me.

Here is the memory I purchased...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

*EDIT*
I think I might have solved my problem. I found this pdf from msi's website..
http://www.msi.com/uploads/test_report/TR10_1812.pdf
According to this information my board only supports up to 2 sticks of 1600 RAM. I put 4 sticks in and now the only thing I can think of is, since i have 1 flashing LED light that I have a power problem

*FURTHER EDIT*
Ok so this seems kind of weird to me but, I plugged another power supply into my board and it started up perfectly fine. I found this quite strange as I've never come across this with RAM before. But all that matters is it works now :)

Do you guys think it will be safe to put the PCI graphics card in? This new power supply is 380 watts. Will that be enough for 2 graphics cards?

What graphic cards are you trying to run together? What are the specs of the rest of your computer?

Yeah, post up the rest of the specs. of your pc. It sounds to me that your current power supply couldn't handle two graphics cards.

Phenom II X2 BE 3.1 ghz
MSI 770-C45
ATI HD 4650
2 gigs of DDR3 1333 mhz RAM
1 Terabyte HDD
300 Gig HDD
Antec Basiq 500 Watt PSU
No removable media drives
*added 512 MB ATI HD 2400*
*added 8 Gigs of DDR3 1600 mhz RAM*

I replaced the 500 watt power supply with a Raidmax 380 Watt power supply and threw in my old RAM and kept the 2nd graphics card in there (i did this before your post :-/) and it is now booting up

There is still one single LED lit up which flashes every once in awhile.

it usually would be pushing it to install two graphics cards with any 380w psu, even a top notch brand psu (Corsair, Antec, etc.), especially because IIRC your graphics card requires a power connector and the minimum suggested wattage for just one card is 400w...

Thanks for the responses! I seem to have bad luck with power supplies. I built my computer in about 2000-2001 and it lasted until 6 months ago. The power supply caught fire :-| (i'm having problems with my work computer. i work at home for a small business and have no IT support) Anyways, I took out that second graphics card just so I don't run into any problems. And will be buying a larger PSU later today.

Should I keep this RAM or return it for 1333Mhz RAM? Also, could I get an opinion on the 2 DIMM maximum for 1600Mhz RAM on my board? This is what is displayed on a chart in the PDF i linked above. If this is true, I will have to return them because my programs use 1 gig of RAM per model I have open :-/ and need 8 gigs.

Back
Top Bottom