Apple vs Windows vs Linux - READ OP BEFORE POST -

vampist

Fully Optimized
Before you post "oh god not another one", "ffs apple/linux/windows is better always will be". With no reason what so ever. Read.
THIS IS NOT AN OPINION OF WHICH YOU LIKE BEST THREAD!

I am becoming more openly minded to many computer operating systems and set up styles. What I was curious is, what makes each OS special?

For example(s).
Linux, you get the complete customization. Is a coders dream software. etc.
Windows you get the .exe install programs, yet still get lots of customization.
OSX, ... This is unknown to me, not for the fact of being ignorant. I just don't use apple besides my ipod.

I have heard that OSX/Apple is better when creating graphic design and video editing.
True? If so, how is it better than windows / linux?

Is it true that apple products such as the macbook, can only run osx?
Or is it just like AMD / Intel where it's just hardware, software can be anything with the right drivers?

I have heard about the very nice battery life with apple, with out the pretty steep prices of IBM laptops.
(Just in my personal experience of shopping a few months back)

My assumptions have been that you pay quiet a bit for the apple logo or brand. Just like Alienware.
True?

Of course yes you do pay for the brand of EVERY product. But when purchasing a new rig with the same specs as apple, do you usually see that the apple product is more?

If your intention is to come in here and just post, "WINXP FTW STFU" or something along those lines. Please don't post.

WINXP FTW ST... oh - sorry.

;)

The most convincing argument I've heard from the apple front as to why they cost a lot is the fact they come preloaded with a lot of good software, they're more reliable and they're nicer to use. Battery life is something I've heard about more recently - but not so much on the older models. I don't dispute any of those claims and completely respect anyone that chooses to get a mac because of them, for some people that's fair enough and if it works well for them - great. But after having used one for a bit they're really not for me. No-one's quite managed to convince me otherwise on the fact that, while you're getting other advantages with going for a mac (such as stability / software) you do still have to pay for the brand / looks.

Personally I'm a linux boy. Does all that I need it to (and windows actually doesn't without installing things like cygwin) and it's been a darn sight snappier and more reliable to use than windows. But hey that's just my preference, the platforms all have their merits, and unless someone gives me a really stupid reason as to why they use one (such as linux rocks because everything else is owned by the mafia) then hey - I'm fine with it. I might not necessarily agree, but we've all got our own opinions and having more than one player around increases competition anyway. And for the end user, that's a good thing.

From what I have seen Windows is the most versitile with alot of market adaptation, apple has some of the market share mostly AV dept. that is however because what apple lacks in strength of variety of programming it makes up for in stability of programming. Linux is the most versitile and the most dangerous to the point where it's all about you. If you're using other people's programs it's not like you can look on the side of the opensource box to find out who to call for tech support, but no doubt has the most potential if you're good.

Me though I still run windows... I would like to get a mac notebook sometime though for my photography stuff

A lot of people like the Apple software for video editing. After using Imovie for a year... I think I like windows movie maker more. And after using Final Cut Pro for a month... it's not bad... I much prefer Sony Vegas Pro 8 or Adobe Premiere Pro CS4... So to me, Apple has nothing going for them.

I run Windows XP Pro.

I will set up a triple boot and run a Linux Distro when I learn a bit more about it. I tried it in the past and loved it.

And if I could afford it i'd have a Mac Pro as well.

I like all three OS's but I don't believe that the Mac is better at multi media that the other two. Any software you got for the Mac is available for the Windows, and now Linux, environment. They all have their benefits and to have all three would be great.

I think apple vs windows is just down to personal opinion. Most people I speak to say they like macs because of the interface or the way the actual computer 'looks'

I have heard about the very nice battery life with apple, with out the pretty steep prices of IBM laptops.
(Just in my personal experience of shopping a few months back)?

I think mines supposed to get 7 hours of battery life. I've never actually timed it but it does have a little thing on the display that tells you how much life you have left down to the minute.

Is it true that apple products such as the macbook, can only run osx?
Or is it just like AMD / Intel where it's just hardware, software can be anything with the right drivers?

I know my Snow Leopard has Boot Camp installed which allows you to create a partition and install another operating system. I've currently have Vista Home Premium installed as another OS on my MacBook Pro because I need it for some of the apps. To access another OS all you need to do is hold command at boot and a bunch of hard drive icons come up which allows you to select whichever OS you want.

I wish I could answer some of your other questions but I don't have to much experience since I've only had mine for a few weeks now.

My assumptions have been that you pay quiet a bit for the apple logo or brand. Just like Alienware.
True?
I don't think that's as accurate as Alienware. You have to have a Mac to run OSX. You can't run OSX on a PC unless you do some type of Hackintosh build in which case you normally have some type of issue with things not working correctly. Bottom line here is if you want OSX to run flawlessly you need to buy a Mac. As I said in my other thread my MacBook Pro boots about 5 seconds faster than my desktop PC.

One thing I will comment on that I love is the multi touch feature on my MacBook Pro. It is just so easy to navigate and move things around. I use a Panasonic Tough Book at work and going back to it and I just laugh at the touch pad. The ability to scroll through web pages, rotate and flip through pictures, drop down menu's and exit out of stuff on the fly is great. Also the ability to left or right click based on one or 2 fingers is really sweet. I'm not sure if any Windows PC's have the Multi touch features.

I don't get the whole fascination with Macs and OSX. Sure, it's pretty, but OSX is basically a linux distribution written for Mac hardware. It just has it's own unique desktop environment. If you don't believe me, open up a terminal (or console, whatever they call it) and try some linux commands...

Here is a very good breakdown

windows offers a wide variety of software, all very easy to install, and all can have cost attached and they range in price. These are really good pc for gamers,some developers, and office basic use.

Mac offers the more "artistic" side, these computers are more for the artist or developer for movies and other media. These are some of the best computers to use for video editing and CAD and the like. Very expensive and can really tear a hole in your wallet.

linux is really for developers or really computer savvy individuals. There are S#^$ TONS OF FREE STUFF. The nice thing is many of the tools you use are already bundled in, its generally pretty fast, and its free which is always a plus.

I would go with the one that best fits budget AND experience man.

Back
Top Bottom