Windows 7: Problems and Pluses

Windows 7 will be released in less than 12 hours. It is safe to assume that it will be installed on people's machines within 48 hours. With that said, I think it would be an interesting idea to create a forum-wide review of Windows 7. We can use whatever information we gather in this thread to write a final review. We will credit everyone who posts.

1. Post all glitches and problems you find with the OS. Please use your previous OS as comparison. If it's not a Windows OS, please state so.

2. Post up all the interesting features you find on this OS. Any improvements for XP/Vista should also be posted. Please pay attention to little details.

Thank you.

a lot of us are already using windows 7.
there are a few who have used official release candidates, some using unofficial release candidates.
others work for, (or have themselves) partner status with MS and have had the full release version for quite a while now, (which is what I've been doing).

at the moment I'm going to say that my last OS was XP (SP3) so far I've got a slight issue with graphics drivers, (and am stuck either using a lower resolution and have black bars down the side) or I can have a greater resolution, no black bars, but there is no support for the aero features with the standard MS driver -which seems to be the only one to actually support the card/monitor at it's fullest resolution.

resource wise it seems to take about as much as XP did. so any computer happily running XPSP3 should be able to run windows 7 without any trouble for now, (unless they come out with service packs that make the OS even hungrier)

Yeah im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit which i received in a W7 Party Pack (So it's legit). I Was using Windows Home Premium and compared to that,it's much faster and stable!

Features such as Aero Peek are fantastic and really help when you have heaps of windows open. W7 also seems to be more memory contious and manages system resources better than any other MS Operating system to date.

So far i havn't noticed any issues :)

Yeah, Ive got my Windows 7 Ultimate the other day in the mail. I just havent decided if I want to go 32 or 64 bit.

I got Win 7 Pro 64-Bit for my rig(I dont NEED Ultimate LOL), and the free upgrade from Vista Home Premium 64bit to Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit for my lappy. I will have the Pro tomorrow(Friday Oct 23rd) from Newegg and the free one in a couple weeks. I am currently using W7 RC on my rig, and I will wipe clean my HDD and fresh install Pro! Cant wait to test out the XP mode and other goodies :)

I received my W7 Pro 64-bit upgrade and I already have complaints. Microsoft was not clear on which systems would be able to upgrade and which weren't. Apparently no XP and some Vista systems are allowed to upgrade; the rest must do a clean install. This became a problem for me when I chose the download option instead of the backup discs. Every time I try to "unload the box" it will unload the files but will fail to run any .exe. It doesn't even let me pick whether I want clean install or not. I was forced to order the backup discs so I can do the clean install. The lady from the Digital River assured me that option would be available on the back up discs. I've already made an .iso file of the version I downloaded so if anything goes wrong I'll use that (although I'd prefer not to).

Microsoft should really be more clear about these upgrades. I looked online and I shit you not: I saw about 100 posts of different people with the same issue I had.

Finally got mine today and WHOA is it faster than Vista. I think it is a little faster than I remember the RC running as well. It seems that even the web goes faster. I am very pleased with it so far.

I had no problems with Windows 7 itself, but some drivers where not working and I could not install the vista drivers.

The only problem I had was GIMP 2 freezing on me. Smooth sailing other than that.

Back
Top Bottom