All Things Apple

Yeah, I mentioned that in my original post. I still think it's unfortunate that they crippled it on purpose. I still don't think the MacBook is worth it.

Regarding the battery, I really hate that new feature. I'm the kind of person that carries around three to four batteries on a trip. I don't like having an integrated battery. It seems like the most unpredictable part of a notebook. I'd love to have control over that.

Agreed. All laptops should feature user-removable batteries.

I don't think that's a problem with the new aluminum MacBook Pro.

Regarding the battery, I really hate that new feature. I'm the kind of person that carries around three to four batteries on a trip. I don't like having an integrated battery. It seems like the most unpredictable part of a notebook. I'd love to have control over that.

Yeah i was considering a macbook to have around as a backup but that battery thing turner me off,i might buy me a second hand last gen model :D

Yea, and isn't overcharging it (running it one wall power with a battery in the laptop when it is fully charged) bad for the battery?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html

Built right into each of the new MacBook Pro notebooks is a breakthrough battery that lasts dramatically longer and does so without increasing the size or weight of MacBook Pro. On a single charge, the battery in the new MacBook Pro lasts up to 7 hours (8 hours on the 17-inch MacBook Pro) and can be recharged up to 1000 times. That's compared with only 200 to 300 times for typical notebooks. Advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging allows the battery to maintain charging capabilities longer and determines the optimal way to charge the battery's cells. Because the battery lasts up to five years, MacBook Pro uses just one battery in the same time a typical notebook uses three. That makes for less waste. And that, in turn, makes for one environmentally friendly battery.

Congrats on the new purchase man! You'll have to put up some pictures when you get it. I'm thinking about buying one of these Apple displays here. Its funny how buying a few things apple makes you want more things apple.

I do have a quick question for you since the threads about mac's. I installed Windows Vista Home Premium on my MacBook Pro through Bootcamp but for some reason Windows update doesn't seem to work. I had to download SP1 then install it separately but I can't download any of the patches for some reason. It just runs and runs and never actually starts the download progress bar.

And if anyone asks why I put Vista on it, it was because I needed some apps that are Windows only while I'm on the move.

Also another question since were on the topic lol.

I know you've got an iPhone also so maybe you can help me with this. I installed 3.1.2 and downloaded the latest update via cydia to allow tethering. I rebooted my phone and reset the network settings but when I enable the tether my Mac finds it but it won't connect because it says the iPhone has its own IP that can't be shared. I'd really like to get the tether working without having to pay for PDAnet.

If your not familiar with the new hack you can find the info here. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1581036

I'm going to play around with it some more to try and get it to work. Is there anyway to disable iTunes from popping up after I hit enable tethering from the phone? Someone was saying that you need iTunes closed when you enable it.

Edit: I just got the tethering working! It seems I had PDAnet's router settings on and that was causing the IP conflict. Disabled that and my iPhone connected right to it. Free tethering can't be beat ;)

Screenshot2009-10-21at65858PM.png

I'm pretty sure that when the battery peaks it stops charging or goes down to a trickle-charge to maintain full-battery.

Yus, this is correct - overcharging is indeed very bad for the battery and will cripple its life, but pretty much all notebooks / laptops have had this auto protection feature now for well over a decade!

I'll admit it, I'm addicted to the 21.5" screen. The thing is absolutely stunning. The 1920 x 1080 resolution isn't bad either.

Back
Top Bottom