AMD vs Intel WTH

Gamputer

In Runtime
Ok I really don't get something here.
AMD Phenom II Processors are 3-4 times cheaper than Intel core i7/i5 processors at same clock speed.

Why is this the case? Are Intel processors much more durable, faster (the clock speed is the same...how can this is possible) or is this the ultimate effect of the brand name?

Somebody answer this plz.

Different architectures, different efficiency, different performance, different components, different company, different reputation, different pricing, different target group.

Basically, clock speed doesn't mean much. There are a lot of other things that come into play with processors.

Different architectures, different efficiency, different performance, different components, different company, different reputation, different pricing, different target group.

Basically, clock speed doesn't mean much. There are a lot of other things that come into play with processors.

Now I do know that i7 has faster QPI than the AMD HT. What do you mean though by different target groups? And I believe clock speeds do matter alot (after all, it's the "Actual" Performance before the energy effiency and such)...

Now I've also checked the Power Usage and Cache Memory. AMD Phenom II x4 high end models have approx 6MB Cache which is 2MB lower than Intel Core i7. The Power Usage is similar. That still doesn't explain the enormous difference in pricing.

Do Brand Names mean that much???

"Efficiency", "Performance", and "Components" all fit under "Architecture" so mentioning them is redundant. Reputation and target group have nothing to do with why their prices are different. Why? Because one they both have good reputation and two they both target the same people since they both create processors with multiple number of cores.

Gamputer, the best advice I can give you is to research the architecture of every processor tree (Core 2 Duo, Phenom, Core 2 Quad, i7, i5, Phenom II, Athlon). They all should vary, although some less than others.

Intels been able to gain a reputation for having some kind of amazing quality, which is why you see them alot. i personally cant stand intels. they charge a lot of money for not that much. AMD has always been my favorite because its simply the best bang for your buck.

pretty much the whole "AMD vs Intel" argument is more matter of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom