Quick question before buying a new wireless router

sbonkosk

Beta member
I had a quick question about wireless routers.

If I were to buy a N router, would I be able to have G devices still work on the network without changing it to G mode? I want to always keep it in N.

If I can, will this hurt performance of my N machine?

If you put it in N-only mode I think that you loose support for G mode.
you need to put it in mixed mode so that it can use N and G,

the wireless router that I have at the moment supports G and B so I have it in mixed mode so that an older wireless device I have can still get on the network.

enabling two modes lets the fast mode enable and it's top speed and the slower mode work at it's top speed, neither of them interfere with each other.

Ah I see.

Can anyone recommend a good and fair priced mixed mode wireless N and G router? Ive been looking and theres so many to choose from so I'm not sure if I should stick to a certain brand or something.

Also, my internet service is rated at 12 Mbps, would I see any speed improvement if I were to use wired gigabit over wireless N?

Can anyone recommend a good and fair priced mixed mode wireless N and G router? Ive been looking and theres so many to choose from so I'm not sure if I should stick to a certain brand or something.

I like Linksys.

Also, my internet service is rated at 12 Mbps, would I see any speed improvement if I were to use wired gigabit over wireless N?

You will not see any improvement in speeds to the interent. You will only get 12 Mbps when you 'leave your house'. If you are talking across your home network, then wired is faster than wireless (when refering to wireless G). Wired is typically 100 Mbs and G is 54 Mbs. However, I'm not sure what N speeds are (I think like 300 Mbs) so that might be better. Of course it's possible to have a Gigabit wired network (1000 Mbs) as well.

I don't do much home networking, so would getting an N wireless router for mainly internet use be overkill for me? Should I just instead stick with G? Will there be any difference in download speeds if I were to get an N over a G?

No there will be no difference in speed from the internet. I don't know that it's overkill as evatually all devices will be N. You just may not need it yet.

Back
Top Bottom