How do you pronounce "router"

It has two pronunciations just like the word "route". The only difference is that you add an 'r' sound at the end.

Everything has multiple pronunciations, that doesn't make them all correct. While the word "route" has 2 proper English pronunciations (rout or root), the word "router" does not follow the same suit. The correct English pronunciation is, and only is, Rau-Ter.

JXIPlatform no when I say "Rau-Ter" I'm not saying ROTOR...

R, Ow!, Ter!

Like somebody else said, like Cow Turd, but replace the C with an R and drop the D.

Break open a few dictionaries all you will find is:

Pronunciation: \ˈrau̇-tər\

Where I come from it's roo-ter. No-one I know from the UK pronounces it differently.

However, I have to say I don't see why people get so annoyed / heated up against minor verbal differences. Not necessarily pointing to anyone in this thread, just generally - it's the same with some people that get all hot up when people don't pronounce a supposed minor different between "three" and "free". At the end of the day it's not even like it's right or wrong, just a case of different cultures, accents etc. and I've yet to come across a situation when a specific pronunciation has been frowned upon or even misunderstood...

Just my thoughts!

No I'm not:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/router

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/router

and even your own link: http://www.answers.com/topic/router

Read it. A router, such as the one in question, is only pronounced Rau-Ter / Rou-Ter.

A Ru-Ter / Roo-Ter is acceptable as pronunciation for a homonym of the word in question, referring to a person or object that routes (i.e. one who prepares shipments for distribution and delivery). Which is because, as I already mentioned, the word route can be pronounced either way, and so a person who routes, e.g. a router can be pronounced the same way.

We are not referring to routers in terms of a person who routes.

Unless I've been mistaking this entire thread, I'm pretty sure everybody here was thinking of a router as in one that you plug your computer into. This is a computer forums after all.

If this was a more general forums, or peoplewhoroutethingsforums.org, then you might be right.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Oh you are correct. Sorry about that. I didn't see this part:

rout·er2 (rū'tər, rou'-)
n.
One that routes, especially one who prepares shipments for distribution and delivery.
(rouPRIMARY_STRESStər) Computer Science.
A device in a network that handles message transfers between computers.
See gateway.

Well this has been a controversial question since the mid-90's. So how do YOU pronounce router?

For me it's: Row-dur

It's only become a how do YOU question since the dictionary started adding words in that weren't spelled right but the masses used it so it got in. The proper way to pronounce it is row-dur. My high school english teacher always told me what stuck with me today. With the word route as in directions. Roots are in the ground Routes "rowtes" are where you go. Aside from that if someone is pronouncing it with emphasis on the T as in row-Ter, they are just putting the accent over the wrong part of the word.

ok, the word route,
so far as I know is not pronounced rout, there is an e on the end and this changed the sound of the vowels used within the word.

for example run (like the thing you do with your legs) add an e and it becomes rune (as in an old symbol). not roune, rowne, runee...

you plan a route (as in root) from a - b, and a router is a switching device that sends packets along their route (as in root). thus it's definitely root-er (despite the connotations of this word in Australia).

rout (verb) (rouw-t like the sound in ouch) is a hollow out or furrow, thus the aforementioned power tool for creating grooves and channels is a r-ouw-ter (rout - er)

the switching network device plans routes (roots) and is a router (route-r) (root-er)
the power tool digs furrows, creates rout (r-aw-t) and is a router (rout-er) (r-aw-t-er).

English lesson over,
feel free to keep using Americanism if you like.

oh, and it's only row-der if you are so lapse in your speaking that you you can't be bothered to pronouce the letter 'T' -which is clearly present in the word

I didn't even know this was an issue.

Everyone I've ever talked to says it so that 'rou'-ter ryhmes with 'cow'-ter.

ok, the word route,
so far as I know is not pronounced rout, there is an e on the end and this changed the sound of the vowels used within the word.

for example run (like the thing you do with your legs) add an e and it becomes rune (as in an old symbol). not roune, rowne, runee...

you plan a route (as in root) from a - b, and a router is a switching device that sends packets along their route (as in root). thus it's definitely root-er (despite the connotations of this word in Australia).

rout (verb) (rouw-t like the sound in ouch) is a hollow out or furrow, thus the aforementioned power tool for creating grooves and channels is a r-ouw-ter (rout - er)

the switching network device plans routes (roots) and is a router (route-r) (root-er)
the power tool digs furrows, creates rout (r-aw-t) and is a router (rout-er) (r-aw-t-er).

English lesson over,
feel free to keep using Americanism if you like.

oh, and it's only row-der if you are so lapse in your speaking that you you can't be bothered to pronouce the letter 'T' -which is clearly present in the word

It's r-o-u-t-e not r-u-t-e, therefore comparing it to run / rune doesn't help anything.

And we quoted multiple dictionary references, its not an "Americanism".

Anyway idc how you pronounce it, I was merely stating the proper way to, for anybody curious.

Back
Top Bottom