queuing execution of setup files

GEKKACAMEO

Baseband Member
This is my first post to a forum of this type and is probably long overdue. I would call myself a hardware enthusiast. I like taking what I have and basically play legos with it. I like to switch up my rigs as much as possible. This means that I am reinstalling my os as a matter of convenience once every couple of weeks. I like tweaking my registry but I'd rather not deal with it when it's a matter of being able to write a paper for class.

What I'm trying to say is that I want to streamline my reformat process. I've basically got it down to a science but I would like to move quicker - get the whole process done (from writing to zeros to installing WOW) in the quickest time possible. I make it a point to set aside all the setup files for programs that I use on every machine and would like to create a disk that installs all of them in one process (adding restarts wherever needed). I've only been through the first couple chapters in my Java book but I'm a quick learner. What should I do?

batch file.

just start the programs like

@echo off
d:\installs\messenger.msi
d:\installs\visual_studio.msi
d:\installs\wow.exe

the batch file won't move on until the process that it starts has stopped. (though you'll have to restart after installing certain things).

you may wish to make some multiple batch files when you know that something will restart, so you start with 1.bat, and that writes a key to the registry so that when you restart it runs 2.bat and installs the next program.

If this is just to get everything up and running, why don't you just set everything up as you want it and then image the machine? True you'll have to generate a new image when new software comes out, but if you're doing it every other week this would seem like the way forward to me!

Imaging is actually something that I'm quite interested in trying. Do you know of a good place to go for info?

Back
Top Bottom