Static Wrist Band

Bigdawg

Baseband Member
Anti Staic Band

I was reading some things about building your own computer and they said something about a static band and was wondering if i needed one of them when i start building

As long as you just keep touching a metal frame every so often you should be ok. I actually bought one of these when I was working on printers, but I've never used it for PC building/repairing. I find that they just get in the way.

Yup just keeping discharging your electric every now and then, the metal case, a radiator whatever. It's just so you don't take a static shock to any of your components and destroy something.

I Have been working on computers for the past 4 years and built/repaired many many computers and never used one of those. So Yeah just touch the metal parts of the PC's case,Taps,pretty much anything that's metal and grounded will do.

I bought one for 3 dollars or so, I didn't ever use one for years but it always bothered me to physicaly touch a metal part of the case. I don't understand how it works exactly though so I was always grounding myself every 5 minutes while my pc was open. Plus sometimes when I would open my PC and forget to 'purposely' touch a metal part of the case I would wonder if I made a mistake ruining the cpu and or motherboard.
I must admit even now I dont always use the antistatic wristband but if I'm handling the CPU I dont risk it.

Never used one.

Install the PSU first and plug it in to the mains. This way the whole case is earthed. Just touch the case now and then. If you cant plug the PSU in then just do as above. Theres plenty of grounded items in a house.

I bought one but never used it.

Just don't build on a carpet/bed, don't wear a bunch of static-prone clothing, and make sure you keep grounding yourself periodically.

Back
Top Bottom