Router suggestion for newb

mmb42

Baseband Member
Well, I wouldn't say I am a total newb but I know NOTHING about routers. I am looking for a recommendation....my situation:

I am moving into in laws house. They currently have one computer on the main floor with a high speed internet account. I am moving in and will have my computer in the basement, right below the main floor.

My questions are:

1. Should/can I get a wireless router? My current computer does not have a wireless card so if I go wireless I would have to get one. I would like my internet fairly fast but I do not do *much* large downloading. I watch videos and surf the web. Would a regular "hard line" be better? Just run a cable to my comp? Or would wireless work fine?

2. What router would everyone recommend? I have someone to kinda help me set it up but I'd like anything that works well and fairly easy to install.

Thank you very much.

Personally I suggest a wired router since your in close proximity to the other computer. Also a wired network is faster and much cheaper. However, If more people more into the house, then I would definitely upgrade to wireless.

2) Any router and ethernet cable is fine.

Thanks for your input....at my current house years ago, an internet geek friend set up our router. At THAT time he said get a G router.

Now it seems that N routers are the ones people want to buy.

Should I be looking into one over the other?

Back
Top Bottom