we all almost died

If a something is meant to hit the planet and kill us then there you go. Just say goodbye to as many as you can that you love and be happy you've lasted this long.

If a something is meant to hit the planet and kill us then there you go. Just say goodbye to as many as you can that you love and be happy you've lasted this long.

why would u ever accept a predetermined fate
did jews give up in the holocaust?
do cancer victims die with out fighting?

i mean this is a little different but
why would we ever not fight

Opinions will differ here obviously person to person but personally if a meteor was coming to destroy the earth i'd only be making an effort to look after others, i'd be happy to go when fate says to me that it's time and staring a meteor in the face is as good a hint as i need, i aint got a problem with me dying,i'd be more concerned with the care of others

and a simple nuclear bomb might not deflect its orbit just break it up

Yes that's true, but if the pieces are smaller, they burn up going through our atmosphere, eliminating about a quarter of the rock and lessening the force of the blast of the other chunks.

Still, the radiation would probably come back to haunt us.

If we could devise a machine and a method to get it there, you're talking great distances and a lot of mass to deal with. If you want to alter it's course you not only have to get said device to the target when the rock is far enough away to make a difference, but it has to have the raw power to move said mass enough to alter its course enough to miss us.
We as of today, do not have such technology.
Keep in mind you're talking about rocks that are sometimes a mile or better in length and a 1/2 mile wide. Planet killers. Composed mainly of iron nickel cores, they are dense beyond your wildest imagination. It would take an explosion on the scale of an anti-matter device to move them or break them up in to smaller pieces. Then you have all those smaller planet killer rocks to deal with.
If the human race is wiped out, the dominat race to rise from the ashes will most likely be roaches and or bees.
So between now and doomsday, enoy the ride...

If we could devise a machine and a method to get it there, you're talking great distances and a lot of mass to deal with. If you want to alter it's course you not only have to get said device to the target when the rock is far enough away to make a difference, but it has to have the raw power to move said mass enough to alter its course enough to miss us.
We as of today, do not have such technology.
Keep in mind you're talking about rocks that are sometimes a mile or better in length and a 1/2 mile wide. Planet killers. Composed mainly of iron nickel cores, they are dense beyond your wildest imagination. It would take an explosion on the scale of an anti-matter device to move them or break them up in to smaller pieces. Then you have all those smaller planet killer rocks to deal with.
If the human race is wiped out, the dominat race to rise from the ashes will most likely be roaches and or bees.
So between now and doomsday, enoy the ride...

in the space the smallest objects mass can effect a trajectory over long distances no bomb is even needed

im talking about finding them
So you're not talking about actually doing anything about them, just telling us they're there?
google it only 10% of the estimated near earth objects are accounted for 90% that could impact us
That means absolutely nothing. 90% of what? I asked for a hard number in terms of probability, not a percentage of an unknown figure.
and a simple nuclear bomb might not deflect its orbit just break it up
...which would make it more likely to burn up in the atmosphere. Smaller pieces are a good thing you know.
in the space the smallest objects mass can effect a trajectory over long distances no bomb is even needed
Yes, but to work this would have to be uncannily accurate and done from a very long way off - and it's still not guaranteed to work.
and more pressing matter? this country just spent trillions on stupid pork filled stimulus bills instead of investing is the space industry or something that truly matters
More pressing matters such as the health service, which was what was being commented on earlier on. I'm in no mind that governments all over the world waste money on things that are unnecessary, but the health service is not one of them. And this strikes me as something that could well be a waste of money.
and what does fixing health care have to do with setting things with detection and running NASA right
If money is directed away from the health service to NASA for projects such as this, it has everything to do with it I'm afraid.
where in 2 wars and screaming about health care just because its the "hot topic" of the week
No, others are saying health care is not important and there's some of us that want to put the matter straight on that. You're the one who's screaming - about space debris.
before health care it was the death of Michale Jackson
First you're moaning we're not spending enough on NASA, now you're moaning about the fact everyone was talking about Michael Jackson's death. What next?!

and its is very easy actually to deflect and asteroid of that size compared to getting congress to agree on health care
Ah, it's easy is it? Cool stuff. You can write all the mechanical equations down for me then along with angles, velocities, points of impact etc. along with all the potential pitfalls and problems and how they'd be resolved of firstly calculating whether a 30 foot asteroid is heading towards earth, and then all of the above, as well as your methology for sending it off course.

As for your ridiculous and quite frankly idiotic analogy of Jews in the holocaust and cancer victims, that's a bit like saying I should stop to think about a meteorite hitting me whilst in the middle of a motorway with a 40 ton truck heading towards me doing 80mph. Yes, I guess the meteorite could hit me and kill me before the truck, but back down in the realms of common sense...

I say again - where are your hard facts and figures as to the probability of one of these things hitting us with devastating consequences?

Back
Top Bottom