we all almost died

You guys really shouldn't be talking advice from some people who got C's in their astrophysics classes.

With what we have now, we can monitor a TINY portion of the sky. We don't have the resources to monitor the entire sky. Healthcare, on the other hand, isn't as expensive.

You guys really shouldn't be talking advice from some people who got C's in their astrophysics classes.

With what we have now, we can monitor a TINY portion of the sky. We don't have the resources to monitor the entire sky. Healthcare, on the other hand, isn't as expensive.

lol
id rather nuclear fall out then the destruction of the human race?
and if any one read what i wrote before a nuclear device is a last resort
im actually kind of surprised by how many people rnt for trying to stop the destruction of man kind over short term health care issues?

lol
id rather nuclear fall out then the destruction of the human race?
and if any one read what i wrote before a nuclear device is a last resort
im actually kind of surprised by how many people rnt for trying to stop the destruction of man kind over short term health care issues?

What's posing this threat? A 30 ft asteroid? Please...when we spot something that has a legitimate reason to pose a thread against the entire planet, then we can worry about diverting our resources to it. The probability that something is big enough to destroy all of mankind is very small. You know that. Let's not waste our time with singularities that may not even happen in this lifetime.

ok sounds good have the technology so we can detect and deflect threats but since theres a good chance it might only effect out grand children who cares lets for get about it....last time i checked where over do for an impact
and this sounds frighteningly similar to the national debt and global warming

I'll repeat what I said earlier: If there is no good health care, some might not have grandchildren.

I don't know why you're fretting over this. You just nuke the goddamn thing and it will be deflected from its impact with Earth. If you use some basic physics you'll easily calculate the angle of impact, speed and/or force. You're trying to argue something really pathetic: we should spend tens of millions of dollars to develop an efficient way of deflecting one asteroid from Earth's path - one asteroid that has an astoundingly low probability of hitting Earth and causing major havoc.

The U.S. is not the only country that should worry about asteroids. If there is a true threat I'm pretty sure Obama and other world leaders will put an international team of scientists to work out a solution.

For now, let's worry about more pressing matter.

I'll repeat what I said earlier: If there is no good health care, some might not have grandchildren.

I don't know why you're fretting over this. You just nuke the goddamn thing and it will be deflected from its impact with Earth. If you use some basic physics you'll easily calculate the angle of impact, speed and/or force. You're trying to argue something really pathetic: we should spend tens of millions of dollars to develop an efficient way of deflecting one asteroid from Earth's path - one asteroid that has an astoundingly low probability of hitting Earth and causing major havoc.

The U.S. is not the only country that should worry about asteroids. If there is a true threat I'm pretty sure Obama and other world leaders will put an international team of scientists to work out a solution.

For now, let's worry about more pressing matter.

Have you ever held a firecracker in your hand? Its gonna hurt, but did it really push your hand a few feet? I bet not. Now make a fist with the firecracker. THEN it does something. You are gonna need one HELL of a nuke if you don't drill it. Both are pretty much impossible.

*disclaimer don't actually try this.

im talking about finding them
google it only 10% of the estimated near earth objects are accounted for
90% that could impact us
and a simple nuclear bomb might not deflect its orbit just break it up
and more pressing matter? this country just spent trillions on stupid pork filled stimulus bills instead of investing is the space industry or something that truly matters
and what does fixing health care have to do with setting things with detection and running NASA right
where in 2 wars and screaming about health care just because its the "hot topic" of the week
before health care it was the death of Michale Jackson

Have you ever held a firecracker in your hand? Its gonna hurt, but did it really push your hand a few feet? I bet not. Now make a fist with the firecracker. THEN it does something. You are gonna need one HELL of a nuke if you don't drill it. Both are pretty much impossible.

*disclaimer don't actually try this.

But isn't your hand connected to your arm which provides more stability and helps the hand be more stationary

also even if the "firecracker" only diverts the path of the astroid by a fraction of a degree, if it is far away enough the path can be changed by hundred thousands of miles

also in space there is no forces acting on the asteroid like drag or resistance so a "firecracker" could move it pretty far.

and to ESA193, i understand you are very passionate about this topic as is everyone else to their own. You may see this as a high priority as others may not. But making arguments like

"and what does fixing health care have to do with setting things with detection and running NASA right
where in 2 wars and screaming about health care just because its the "hot topic" of the week
before health care it was the death of Michale Jackson"

dosn't help your case

I agree with Joga - there's far far more pressing things that money could be spent on, especially in this day and age. Perhaps if we were in the middle of an economic boom and had so much money no-one knew what to do with it then yes, but IMO it doesn't seem like a wise use of taxpayers money at present.

To anyone who disagrees, can you quote a hard number at me which is the probability of such an asteroid (i.e. one that would cause mass loss of life) hitting a densely populated area? Then can you compare it against all the other ACTUAL killers around at the moment such as those that require medical treatment and research? Frankly I really can't see the logic of where you're coming from here.

Yes, an asteroid might wipe us all out tomorrow. But on the other hand, you might contract a terminal illness tomorrow, you might get run over, you might get shot, you might get killed in any number of ways. Yes, it's scary when you think about it, but the cold hard truth is that life comes with risks and some of them, including this, we'll just have to live with.

im talking about finding them
google it only 10% of the estimated near earth objects are accounted for
90% that could impact us
and a simple nuclear bomb might not deflect its orbit just break it up
and more pressing matter? this country just spent trillions on stupid pork filled stimulus bills instead of investing is the space industry or something that truly matters
and what does fixing health care have to do with setting things with detection and running NASA right
before health care it was the death of Michale Jackson

Back
Top Bottom