we all almost died

atmosphere will take care of that.. in all likeliness it will burn up in the atmosphere...

not an asteroid of that size
and its is very easy actually to deflect and asteroid of that size compared to getting congress to agree on health care
in space if an asteroid is detected early enough (few years) sending a space craft into a specific orbit will change the asteroids path
if its to close for that simply a few rocket engines (few months) can nudge its orbit (we only need a little bit to make a huge difference)
and if we have a few days try firing a nuclear expostulation a few times near it to change its orbit but theirs a chance that could make thing worse...
but any way my main point
where does innovation come from?
space industry
what could we be investing in? space industry
what r we doing? bickering about how to spend billions on stupid thing....

Quite honestly, I'm appalled that some of you actually consider this more important than health care. People would benefit from a good health care plan more than they would from investments on the space industry. And, this comes from someone who is looking to go into that area. You don't have asteroids headed toward Earth every day, much less asteroids that won't burn up when passing through the atmosphere. Now compare that to the hundreds, possibly thousands, of people who, every day, would benefit from having that health coverage they need. Like AmericanSensei posted, if it is critical that an asteroid be diverted or destroy, they will fund the means. And besides, you can detect these early enough can't you? ;)

Quite honestly, I'm appalled that some of you actually consider this more important than health care. People would benefit from a good health care plan more than they would from investments on the space industry. And, this comes from someone who is looking to go into that area. You don't have asteroids headed toward Earth every day, much less asteroids that won't burn up when passing through the atmosphere. Now compare that to the hundreds, possibly thousands, of people who, every day, would benefit from having that health coverage they need. Like AmericanSensei posted, if it is critical that an asteroid be diverted or destroy, they will fund the means. And besides, you can detect these early enough can't you? ;)

I would assume it would be hard to miss a large mass hurdling towards earth at 18,000+ MPH.:D

The people who are saying its pointless to invest because there is nothing we can to stop it are absolutely not making any sense.

The whole point of investing money and resources in the programs like these is so that we would come up with a method/solution for locating and destroying asteroids.

Scientists have more then several projects who they think will actually work. But as with any out of space project it will cost a lot of money. What good to invest in a health care when something like a global killer can wipe us all out with just one big big impact.

I'm not saying health care is not important, what Im saying is we should make the asteroid program to be in the top 5 world programs that needs to be developed/receive more funding.
How often does an asteroid hit? Is it honestly a problem? It's a natural disaster, there is no stopping it, you might be able to avoid it, and we have the tech to do that.

investing in the space industry is a very smart thing
new problems such as getting to mars cause engineers to be pushed to the limit inventing new systems technology
hygrogen fuel cell most likely the future of cars
developed for moon missions
there are countless innovations caused by the moon missions and
mars and beyond missions can only provide much more

WTH is the point of watching out for one? So we have a heads up it's going to hit? It won't make a difference really.... It's not like we can stop it.

And even IF we could stop it...say, with a nuke (and a big one)...we're going to have the problems of radioactive space rocks which is bad for us few meteorite hunters out there, and the fallout material and direct radiation from a nuclear explosion in the atmosphere.

And these are problems associated with launching a big nuke at a smaller meteor. What would happen if we blasted a big meteor with a big nuke in the upper atmosphere? We would have direct radiation impact on the surface, radioactive fallout for thousands of miles, and several relatively small but very deadly radioactive meteorites hitting land and/or land and sea at the same time.

And this isn't the worst of our problems.
-There are literally thousands of KNOWN meteors in relatively close proximity to earth that would cause problems IF we blow them up as they approach us.
- The consequences of just letting them hit the earth would be just a bad and blowing them up.

investing in the space industry is a very smart thing
new problems such as getting to mars cause engineers to be pushed to the limit inventing new systems technology
hygrogen fuel cell most likely the future of cars
developed for moon missions
there are countless innovations caused by the moon missions and
mars and beyond missions can only provide much more

I agree completely. Investing in NASA, or better yet, uncorrupted privately owned corporations is the best thing for the future of mankind.

I agree completely. Investing in NASA, or better yet, uncorrupted privately owned corporations is the best thing for the future of mankind.

Before people start thinking about inventing things for the future of mankind, maybe they should start cleaning up stuff today. How about health care? Just to make sure some will have a future. Or maybe, education? I mean...if we're to invent these awesome things we'll need smart people right? Or how about infrastructure? Things with a bad foundation will often collapse. You can't possibly expect a nation to start developing on advanced technology if it can't take care of simple stuff.

Before people start thinking about inventing things for the future of mankind, maybe they should start cleaning up stuff today. How about health care? Just to make sure some will have a future. Or maybe, education? I mean...if we're to invent these awesome things we'll need smart people right? Or how about infrastructure? Things with a bad foundation will often collapse. You can't possibly expect a nation to start developing on advanced technology if it can't take care of simple stuff.

One word: science, nanobots, robots.

Back
Top Bottom