Vmware Setup

ace777

Fully Optimized
I have never used Vmware before, if I understand this right I can run something like a linux OS within my XP? How does this work is it based by an iso of linux or a partition or what? What im wanting to do it run Ubuntu without having to setup a dual partition I hate doing that. Does anyone have a simplified guide or anything?

You don't need a separate partition as VMware creates a virtual harddrive which is really just a file. As far as the installation media goes, you can use an ISO or the DVD if you already have it in that form. Here is a tutorial. Have fun...

It has never been this large, it says the file is some 500 mb there is no way man.

I need some help which one do I download guise?

I just took at look at the VMware Workstation installation files we have here and they're about 500M each. That does seem pretty huge, but I guess it is what it is.

ok, you don't need a separate partition because VMware creates .vmdk files, this is basically the disk that is used by the virtual machine...

of the downloads, Vsphere will let you set up and experiment with cloud computing.
infrastructure 3 is what vsphere was called before they rebranded it,

VMware server does what you want to do, (but does not have the clone feature)

vmware ESXI is for running virtualised machines on bare metal, (no host OS needed).

the converter standalone is a tool that clones any machine that it's run on and creates a vmdk, basically it creates an image of the workstation so you can go back to it if you want to make a server, or workstation visualised, say you're consolidating lots of small app servers to reduce hosting costs, rather than rebuilding them you just clone them and run them...

vmware player will let you take a vmdk file and, well um, play it, see what's on it, boot the file...

the workstation lets you run multiple images at once, create images, and clone workstations...

when you're building a workstation, you can choose either to use a CD or DVD connected to the host, (the actual CD drive), or you can use a virtual CD drive to look at an ISO.

Basically, you'll probably want either vmserver or Vm workstation...

if you were feeling particularly hardcore you could try esxi and run your workstation as a VM as well...

Back
Top Bottom