Large, Random Files Filling Up My Hard Drive

squaljonovic

Beta member
I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, and I've noticed that from time to time and for no reason, I would have several gigabytes less free space that I should. Normally, it would just go away after a few hours or so, but this most recent time that's not the case. Not only are the files not going away, but they're actually filling up over 20 GB of free space. Diskeeper shows these files and lists them as large files with random filenames as you can see in this image this image. Because of how long their filenames are, the entire filepath isn't displayed, so I don't know where I might go to delete these files, and searching for them has found nothing. Does anyone know what they are and/or how to delete them?

Edit: I feel like a goon saying this, but I solved the problem a few moments ago. I found the files in the System Volume Information folder after telling my computer to stop hiding protected system files. The files were the result of Shadow Copy being turned on on my hard drive, so to fix the problem, I had to turn off System Restore (apparently, Shadow Copy and System Restore are linked), and immediately after doing so, the files disappeared. Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom