SSDs and RAID 0

shozzking

Daemon Poster
Can i have a solid state drive for my OS and then 2 regular hard drives in RAID 0 for the rest of my stuff? or do all of my hard drives have to be in RAID?

Can i have a solid state drive for my OS and then 2 regular hard drives in RAID 0 for the rest of my stuff? or do all of my hard drives have to be in RAID?

It depends on your motherboard/controller. It can definitely be done. Most people wouldn't recommend putting the storage drivers in RAID 0. It's better to get 3 smaller drives and put the in RAID 0+1. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

RAID 1 is a mirrored array
so basically yes

RAID 0 is a stripped array
and RAID 5 is a stripped array with a stripped parady
the best of both worlds as it appears

It depends on your motherboard/controller. It can definitely be done. Most people wouldn't recommend putting the storage drivers in RAID 0. It's better to get 3 smaller drives and put the in RAID 0+1. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't you need 4 drives to set up a RAID 0+1? (2 striped array and 2 to mirror the data)

I personally dont think your going to gain much, if any, performance by splitting the OS and the applications to different drives. Most apps. rely on many Registry entries, and if these end up pointing to files on other drives, or partitions, it makes it more difficult to maintain backups without those entries going ‘out of sync'.

In fact the only benefit is the initial loading times.

Use the SSD for the OS and apps. and RAID the other two if you need too.

Back
Top Bottom