Power Supply Fryed

Unseenmen

Solid State Member
I am working on a build for my roommate and I had the power supply short out with flash, smoke, smell and all. The wattage itself is about 585 and here are what it is powering:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB
HEC 6C28BBX585 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 585W Power Supply

I haven't run into this setup before with a motherboard CPU power of 2x4. The power supply has a 2x10 pin main power + another 2x2 to make the 20+4 pin. It does not technically have a single 2x4 pin for the CPU, but it does have a 2x2.
Simply Put:
2x2 pin x2
2x10 pin x1

If I use the 2x2 from the main power for the CPU, will the motherboard have enough power with just the 20 pin connector? assuming the PS unit is still good

Some manufactures state that you should use the 2x4 pin and 2x12 connector with CPU's rated at 130W although you can use 2x2 and 2x10 connectors with lesser rated systems.

Go here and DL the manual. Have a look at page 23.

If the board requires a 20+4 pin ATX and an P4 4 pin or 8pin EPS for the CPU, I would never run less than what it requires. You're just asking for trouble there.

Some manufactures state that you should use the 2x4 pin and 2x12 connector with CPU's rated at 130W although you can use 2x2 and 2x10 connectors with lesser rated systems.

Go here and DL the manual. Have a look at page 23.
I looked at that page in the actual manual, and from what I could tell from it is that the motherboard takes the 20+4pin and the EPS for the CPU takes the 4pin (except in the extreme edition CPU instance where it takes the 130watt pin that is not supplied with my PSU)

What I am confused most about is why would the PS fry when I am pretty sure there was less of a demand of power than what is being supplied. Ive never seen this happen before in any of my builds; the worst Ive had is a fried CPU but even then, there were no sparks or shorts out of anything.

I will supply more information about the PSU when I get home to check it out.

Any past experience from people would be much appreciated on this,
Thanks

Update:

Problem fixed but I changed two factors so I'm not a hundred percent sure what fixed it. I bought a new PSU, an Antec Earthwatts 650, which had the 8 Pin EPS along with a 20+4pin which essentially filled out all necessary power management for CPU and MB. I also noticed that the one stick of memory was in slot 3 instead of slot 1. So I added another stick and put them into the correct slots.

When I booted for the first time, there were no problems, no sparks, and everything seems fine. So some combo of the two fixed it, but I have a hunch it was more of a power supply issue

I also noticed that the one stick of memory was in slot 3 instead of slot 1. So I added another stick and put them into the correct slots.

I don't think that should really affect it unless the slot of defective.
Back then, I put my ram on slot 3 and 4 because the CPU heatsink was bigger than I thought, and covered the slot 1 and 2.

I looked at that page in the actual manual, and from what I could tell from it is that the motherboard takes the 20+4pin and the EPS for the CPU takes the 4pin (except in the extreme edition CPU instance where it takes the 130watt pin that is not supplied with my PSU)

What I am confused most about is why would the PS fry when I am pretty sure there was less of a demand of power than what is being supplied. Ive never seen this happen before in any of my builds; the worst Ive had is a fried CPU but even then, there were no sparks or shorts out of anything.

I will supply more information about the PSU when I get home to check it out.

Any past experience from people would be much appreciated on this,
Thanks

Update:

Problem fixed but I changed two factors so I'm not a hundred percent sure what fixed it. I bought a new PSU, an Antec Earthwatts 650, which had the 8 Pin EPS along with a 20+4pin which essentially filled out all necessary power management for CPU and MB. I also noticed that the one stick of memory was in slot 3 instead of slot 1. So I added another stick and put them into the correct slots.

When I booted for the first time, there were no problems, no sparks, and everything seems fine. So some combo of the two fixed it, but I have a hunch it was more of a power supply issue

good choice with regards to the psu...

Chances are that the power supply was probably faulty to begin with. It's not very likely that the RAM caused the power supply to go bang, although not completely ruled out. I've seen customer's connect power supplies in all sorts of ways and most of the time they end up killing their motherboard and/or everything else in the system. Do you know if the old PSU was switched to 110V instead of 220V rated on the back? Cause that'll do it :p

Back
Top Bottom