Ram

The HT link (x1, x2, x3, x4 ,x5) is more or less a memory divider. So if your RAM can't keep up with the bus speed the HT Link usually has to go down. This is rarely the case though. And please forgive me if any of this information is off, I'm very tired at the moment. This will be my last post tonight.

What the "Front Side Bus" on your system? Makes no sense to buy RAM that's faster than the "Front Side Bus" on your AMD HT thingy.

Front Side Bus only applies to Intel systems, usually higher speed memory is good to go with AMD systems, totally different architecture as the AMD chips have the memory controller built in as where Intel has it on the motherboard...

I could be wrong though, AMD is not my thing...

Wolvarine, you're correct. You rarely have issues with RAM when running an AMD system. I think it caps it at 1066 though. It will probably clock down after.

The AM2 chips do cap at 1066. But the AM3 chips can go up to A LOT more. I had my 1333 DDR3 running @ close to 1600 when I was messing with mine alot but I set everything back to stock settings during the summer because it was just way to hot out in the south to be pushing my stuff. Also it is plenty fast at stock for anything I do on a regular basis and if I do want more speed I know most of the sweet spots for everything so I can just set it a lil less and test it to make sure It will still run stable.

But to answer the original question It would be best to just sell the sticks you have now and move up to a 2x2gb set or (2) 2x2 sets if you are looking to go for 8gb.

P.S. I thought you were going to sell your 940 and get the 965 and move to an AM3 setup?

Front Side Bus only applies to Intel systems, usually higher speed memory is good to go with AMD systems, totally different architecture as the AMD chips have the memory controller built in as where Intel has it on the motherboard...

That was my point :| "Front Side Bus" in quotations referring to that "HT thingy" I suppose it's easy to see/understand if you look at the HT as a primative QPI.

Back
Top Bottom