can someone help with.......

chrisfreez

Beta member
the linux ubuntu downloads. I tried to download Linux Ubuntu twice from two
different university sites that handle downloads for ubuntu I tried to download the netbook version (remix). I started the download and watch it for about an hour before going to bed the other night. The download seemed to be going okay when I went to bed.

The next morning I expected the Ubuntu OS download to be ready to use on my computer but there were no (As far as i could see) executable files that i could find. There were a few files in the download folder on my XP/SP3 computer, but I could not do anything with those files so I deleted them.

Any ideas what happened?

Ubuntu is an opperating system, not an executable.

if you look on the windows CD you'd find very few executables, but lots of packaged files.
in any case there isn't really such a thing as an eecutable in the world of linux.

if you downloaded a lot of files, then I'm guessing that you may have downloaded the source, which you'd need to compile.

It'd be much easier to search for an ISO and use that to burn a CD that you can boot from to install the OS.

With all due respect, if you think you can install linux by double clicking on a windows executable perhaps it'd be wise to do some more background reading first? As root said the typical approach is to download an ISO which you then burn to a CD / DVD and boot your computer from.

I am new to ubuntu so I have little knowledge about installing ubuntu on my netbook that is why I am asking questions. I have Windows XP SP3.

I figured that after ubuntu was downloaded to my netbook It would have an install program or install file to load the OS onto my netbook, but from what you said I guess it does not. You mentioned compiling, need more info.

Can someone get me started in downloading and setting up my netbook to use the Ubuntu OS.

You're new to operating systems. You will have to download a .iso file, burn that file to a cd creating a "boot disk" you can then use that boot disk to format your computer...ERASING EVERYTHING INCLUDING WINDOWS AND ALL YOUR FILES...then install ubuntu.

or...

you could partition your hard drive and install ubuntu on a separate section of it so that you could choose to boot in either windows or ubuntu.

or...

If you just want to try ubuntu i believe there is a fairly simple way to run it strictly off of the cd for such trial purposes.

That's what I would suggest you do. Or the partition, Linux is different from Windows in a lot of fundamental ways that may make your computer very frustrating to use if you don't understand them. Try it before you commit to it.

Edit:
I looked it up for you
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

I strongly recommend you try this first.

Ubuntu is an opperating system, not an executable.

if you look on the windows CD you'd find very few executables, but lots of packaged files.
in any case there isn't really such a thing as an eecutable in the world of linux.

if you downloaded a lot of files, then I'm guessing that you may have downloaded the source, which you'd need to compile.

It'd be much easier to search for an ISO and use that to burn a CD that you can boot from to install the OS.
dont forget wubi...

dont forget wubi...

Yes i agree with timinator, i wanted to try Ubuntu and Wubi is a great place to get started. It installs in windows like any other app downloaded of the internet but when it acts like its own operating system when you select it from the boot screen. the only drawback is that it is limited to 30GB of your HDD or less.

Back
Top Bottom