I am so disgusted with best buy

vampist

Fully Optimized
I'm so disgusted!
I cleaned up a friends laptop right? But It's just NOT going to get very fast for a few reasons.
It's a laptop, running vista, with 1GB of ram. It's just not going to be super speedy.

But I did speed it up a little cleaned up over 10GBs of junk files.
Yes.. I said 10GBs.

She had everything known to man starting at boot up. etc etc.

Anyway, she brings it in to BestBuy (GeekSquad). She tells them how her friend cleaned it up a bit.

They tell her that I ruined the computer really bad.
How it's only using I quote "2% memory", how she is needs to buy a backup drive, needs more ram.
Pretty much told her that I broke her computer.

Which.. I know for a fact that there is no way in hell I "broke" her computer.

I'm going down to BestBuy with her tomorrow. So she doesn't get smoke blown up her arse.

yeah geek squad will say anything to make a quick buck and make u buy things you don't need.

My sister has a laptop with a gig of ram and vista and she leaves it on 24 7 despite the fact that it is not meant for that and the wireless card is now dying. I told her to turn it off at night, she says she does but when u look at the task manager it says up time 14 days.

Anyway recently I told her don't just go to bestbuy to have them fix it because they will say BS like you need a new motherboard and charge upwards o 300$ when they only replace the wireless chip.

Another geek squad incident happened to my friend where he got screwed into paying for parts that weren't even replaced. he didn't find out until a few months later when he was cleaning the inside of the computer that he was charged for a new hard drive when the old one was still in the computer
and there never was a new drive added. Bestbuy said there was nothing they could do since it happened too long ago.

That is so ridiculous!
At this point I have more respect for the tree in my front yard than I do for GeekSquad.

And what did we learn from this?
If you're going to own a computer, You need to know how to do the simple routine maintenance.
Yourself.
By that I mean running Ccleaner and findjunkfiles, Spybot S&D, and so on.

Why would you take anything to some one that is hellbent on selling you crap and services you don't need?

I don't want to write it all out, but lets just say I've had my fair share of problems with best buy which are very similar to yours.

And I have more respect for White's Electronics than I do for Microsoft. I just wish I didn't need to rely on Microsoft as much as I do.

That's GeekSquad for ya. People will believe just about anything these days, which is a shame. They'll just throw money at a problem without taking a few minutes to research an issue.

That's why I work at a home-owned computer store here in Topeka. We're beginning to put the GeekSquad here in Topeka at least, out of business. Sure we have a few un-happy customers, not everybody understands why a harddrive will fail. But GeekSquad has MANY more un-happy customers which come straight to us.

I'm so disgusted!
I cleaned up a friends laptop right? But It's just NOT going to get very fast for a few reasons.
It's a laptop, running vista, with 1GB of ram. It's just not going to be super speedy.

But I did speed it up a little cleaned up over 10GBs of junk files.
Yes.. I said 10GBs.

She had everything known to man starting at boot up. etc etc.

Anyway, she brings it in to BestBuy (GeekSquad). She tells them how her friend cleaned it up a bit.

How it's only using I quote "2% memory", how she is needs to buy a backup drive, needs more ram.

Which.. I know for a fact that there is no way in hell I "broke" her computer.

I'm going down to BestBuy with her tomorrow. So she doesn't get smoke blown up her arse.

Which is why my High School dubbs it "Worst Buy"
Seriously. Everything is overpriced and unreliable.

Sounds like you ruined it. Be more careful next time - everyone knows that 10GB of random crap is necessary on your hard drive for the memory to operate to its full potential. Also, removing startup items generally physically damages the hard drive, and if that breaks then you'll DEFINITELY need a new graphics card too, the two share the same flux capacitor you see...

...its a sad fact in life that certain people will try and push false facts out just to increase sales, and its a sadder fact that most of the time they get away with it! I'm not surprised in a way though - I once had someone from a major UK ISP tell me that to resolve my connection problems, I should try removing the front panel of the phone wall socket to let all the "bad electricity" out. Writing into a major UK computing magazine and getting the story published shut them up though ;) This is the same reason why I got a bit annoyed in the thread a while back when someone's brother was claiming that buying a ridiculously expensive computer was worth it because the better quality laser in the CD drive picked up better quality sound. It's a blatant con / mis-sale and people like this do an enormous discredit to the industry.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing going back to the store and having a word, if someone who knows what they're on about asks the same questions then challenges the answers based on hard evidence, then you might find they quickly back off when they realise they're out of their depth. If not, ask to have a word with the manager, or raise a formal complaint in writing to head office. Even if it doesn't officially go anywhere, it'll hopefully scare the staff in that store enough to think twice before doing a similar thing again.

And what did we learn from this?
If you're going to own a computer, You need to know how to do the simple routine maintenance.
Yourself.
By that I mean running Ccleaner and findjunkfiles, Spybot S&D, and so on.
Couldn't agree more. Personally I think this is what IT lessons in schools should focus on more than creating databases in access that no-one will ever use... at least that's what it's like in the UK. Taking a couple of hours to teach people how to keep their machine in good, running order and teaching them basic troubleshooting should (long term) really help to stop this sort of appalling behaviour we see from sales people at the moment.

That's GeekSquad for ya. People will believe just about anything these days, which is a shame. They'll just throw money at a problem without taking a few minutes to research an issue.

That's why I work at a home-owned computer store here in Topeka. We're beginning to put the GeekSquad here in Topeka at least, out of business. Sure we have a few un-happy customers, not everybody understands why a harddrive will fail. But GeekSquad has MANY more un-happy customers which come straight to us.

Well that's good for you that Geek Squad is crap I guess. :D :D LOL.

Back
Top Bottom