Southbridge (maybe northbridge?) overheating problem.

shinychrome0

Beta member
I just checked out my dad's computer, a gateway GT5448E with an intel core 2 quad duo E6300. CPUID Hardware Monitor reads the temp of the MCH (which i believe is the north bridge) at 94 C. The Bios reads at the same temperature on the ICH which is the southbridge if i am not mistaken. I added a little gooseneck fan blowing directly on the chip because there is no heatsink or fan or anything on it. I'm wondering if this is even possible. Wouldn't it have melted itself at those temps? I was checking for a dead fan when i found this. The computer is about 2 years old. I have no idea how long its been this high.

No heatsink on the CPU? 94C? That should've destroyed the cpu in a matter of seconds....

I added an extra fan and got the temp down to 88 C. This still sound rather high, but i downloaded the intel desktop utility to check and it shows that 88 is still in the green operating range. Just barely, but its in there. I am considering adding a heatsink to the chip in order to make my fan do a little more good. I'm surprised it doesn't have one to begin with. Should it have come with one?

Yes it should have, that sounds wayyyyy too high. Even without a fan or heatsink thats really hot for any bridge. maybe if its way overclocked any constantly being worked real hard

Yes it should have, that sounds wayyyyy too high. Even without a fan or heatsink thats really hot for any bridge. maybe if its way overclocked any constantly being worked real hard

if your memory is overclocked it really doesn't need to be as you're running an Intel based system that probably has a pretty limited FSB being that it's a Gateway, if it's not overclocked then my guess is that the NB heatsink has been knocked loose somewhat and isn't getting good contact with the chip, that temp is way too high...

Are you sure its Celsius and not Fahrenheit? Just wondering.

My old PCs never had a fan on the bridges, and some had a heatsink, and some doesn't IIRC.

Yes its definitely celsius. Its not overclocked. And there is no heatsink to knock loose. That was Mentioned up above. I guess i will see about ordering a heatsink to put on it. Any suggestions?

That's dangerous. Especially with no heatsink at all.

Go here and find a heatsink that will fit and mount with the space given on that particular motherboard. It doesn't have to have a fan, but they help. Also, try to pick one that comes with thermal compound. If it doesn't, pick some up from the Egg, as well.

Back
Top Bottom