Installing Windows 7 On a Brand new 300GB Western Digital

ghostFL

Fully Optimized
Hey guys! Just got a 300GB 10000rpm velociraptor hard drive. I attained Windows 7 and would like to install it. However, when I boot from disk and go to install the OS, it only reads the existence of my external hard drive. Apparently, the Velociraptor Wester Digital HD isn't formatted to NTFS.

I've never formatted a HD outside of the OS.

Who wants rep? I'm on my laptop and ready to get this done NEOOWWWW :p

You mean it's not showing up, or it wont install to the drive?

Click on the drive (if it's listed), then press "Advanced Options" (or something similar... it's in blue writing). Then, hit Format :p.

This may be a dumb question, but have you enabled the appropriate SATA port in BIOS? (I'm assuming this is a SATA drive). I only mention it because I've had this same thing happen when I forgot to enable the SATA port on an install I was doing a while back.

Yes, it IS a SATA drive. And it isn't just not letting me install on it. It just isn't showing up on the list in general.

Nooo, I'm not sure what that SATA port is all about. My last hard drive was connected via SATA too though, and all I did was swap out the drives :confused:

Gahhh the power and everything should still be perfect. I literally only unplugged the SATA connector from the HD, took it out, replaced it with the new HD, and reconnected the SATA to the new HD :(

But the brand new WD HD SHOULD be NTFS already, correct?

Gahhh the power and everything should still be perfect. I literally only unplugged the SATA connector from the HD, took it out, replaced it with the new HD, and reconnected the SATA to the new HD :(

But the brand new WD HD SHOULD be NTFS already, correct?

I don't want to be redundant (or piss you off) but if you only unplugged the SATA connector, what about the power connector? The HDD needs both the SATA (data) connector and power connector plugged in to work. As far as the new hard drive being pre-formatted with NTFS, every new WD HDD I've ever come across has been unformatted (unallocated). I'm sorry if I'm irritating you by asking about the power connector again, but I had to ask based on your statement. Peace...

No no no noooooo please don't think that. Haha, it was absolutely the power connector. I have been using a WD HD from a stock HP from 5 1/2 to 6 years ago. I never noticed a power connecter connected to it, just the SATA. Hmmm.... maybe I just didn't notice myself accidentally unplug it when I unplugged the SATA. But I could have sworn I never connected that power wire to the HD before. Hmm... oh well. Too much ganji tokin' I suppose :p

I'll know in a few seconds if the installation recognizes it. My error motherboard startup screen recognizes it in one of the SATA ports now, so thats a good sign so far :)

*Success! Thanks much buddy! I wish I could repay you with one of these beers or a bowl :p

God damnit. Now my installation is hanging at 48% and it's been there for an hour almost. I'm going to try re-acquiring the installation cd at a lower write speed and also try switching out the old data SATA connector with a new one.

Back
Top Bottom