Sli or go to Radeon? (9800 GTX+ sli) HELP!`

Blitzpwnage1

Solid State Member
Hi, im an nvidia person and i was thinking about getting a little more power out of my machine. I have a motherboard that can let me sli 2 cards but was wondering if getting a 1gb like 9600 gt would be good just to add some more graphics dedicated memory or should i go for an Ati Radeon HD4890 or whatever, i dont know anything about Ati and would like to. This is a tough decision. The 1gb memory for the 2nd sli card would be GDDR2.

well...what is your current graphics card. If it is a 9600gt, you could sli two 9600gt(s)

but

2x9600gts are not even close in comparison to a Radeon 4890's. You are comparing like a pentium 4 to an i7.

You could spend an extra $60-70 for another card for a little more juice

or

you could spend a lot more (200$ish) and get a significant upgrade

your choice

Besides the graphics card you have/want what are the other specs of your computer?

It'll make no sense to upgrade to a 4890 if you have for example an older single core processor and 1gb of ram.

Alright. Here we go.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.1 Ghz
I have 4gb PAtriot RAM
32 bit windows 7
700 Watt power supply
And a Nvidia 9800 GTX 512 mb gddr3

What size monitor are you running? An upgrade to a newer processor might help you out more than a newer card.

It's pretty much useless to upgrade to another card or a new processor. Your resolution is way too low to see a difference that is worth the price.

Oh. Well heres what im trying to do. Im not trying to get better resolution on just trying to run certain games on max(crysis :p) I know its crazy but i was thinking if i just get like a 60 dollar 1 gb card that would help.

Oh. Well heres what im trying to do. Im not trying to get better resolution on just trying to run certain games on max(crysis :p) I know its crazy but i was thinking if i just get like a 60 dollar 1 gb card that would help.

It might, but it would be so minimum, it would basically waste your money. Why don't you buy a new monitor? The 9800 GTX is still a great card to game with. It can run the majority of games on high settings.

Alright. Here we go.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.1 Ghz
I have 4gb PAtriot RAM
32 bit windows 7
700 Watt power supply
And a Nvidia 9800 GTX 512 mb gddr3

Your system is not even utilizing all your memory due to the fact your using 32-bit. (32-bit only recognizes 4gb's worth of memory so you're probably only using 3 1/2 gb of your ram and the rest is used up by the graphics card)

Make the the switch to 64-bit before you decide to buy a 1gb graphics card..

Back
Top Bottom