Computer will not turn on

medabomb2000

In Runtime
Hey guys,

Just had a friend hand me their computer to work on. It is a Compaq Presario SR1222NX. It was working about week or so ago, last thing that was done was a file transfer between two computers. I am thinking this is fully hardware as not even the bios or anything will boot up when you hit the On Switch on the front face-plate.

I have pulled the power supply out and have used a power supply tester, and everything is reading perfectly. Power is getting to the board, but again when you hit the on switch, nothing starts. I am trying to see if anyone knows of any tricks up their sleeves that might be able to help to see what may be causing this issue, and what is needing to be fixed to move forward. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

-Medabomb

If the PSU is pumping out power, but no parts are receiving power, there's a problem in the connections.

If everything is plugged in correctly, you have either a faulty case, or a faulty motherboard.

That was my next guess was that there is a fault in the motherboard... I know that 90% of the newer mobo's come with a light indicator on the mobo to show that power is being transmitted. I have yet to find this light on this one (maybe there isn't one).

One more question, would there be any way to test the I/O button on the front panel to see if the connection on it is faulty going to the mobo?

i think it is the I/O button. this happened on a friends old emachine, so i swapped it in a different case.

Was your friend experimenting with overclocking? Try looking for a CMOS reset jumper or try removing the CMOS battery (if it's not soldered to the board) for a minute and put it back in. I've had the same type of issue when I overclocked one of my PCs too much. I just had to reset the BIOS in order to get the machine running again. This might not be your problem, but it's something to try...

also some cheap cases have cheap buttons, possible when moving the computer the actual button ( not just on the faceplate) has moved, happened with my dell a couple but, if the switch is well protected I wouldn't worry about it.

I have dismantled the faceplate and have went straight to the I/O switch to try to test that, don't think it is the button (on faceplate) itself. My buddy has no idea what over clocking is, so I would say no to that request... Let me see if I can track down an old case and see if I can get another switch for the tower, I will try to post again as soon as I can test it out.

Take the RAM out and see if you get a beep error. Take the HDD out and hook it up either externally or as a slave to a working computer.

Back
Top Bottom