How do I transfer files between two PC's?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
I have just finished building a new PC and it's not conected to any network. I'm trying to trasfer few gig's of files to it from my main PC but not sure on how to do that. I have FireWire to FireWire cable, will that work?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

I'm sure it will work.

Check the information at the bottom of this link....

Thank you for that link Remeniz. Since both computers use Windows 7 and this article is talking about Windows XP I wonder if the process will be different... From what this article is saying under the "Creating Network Bridges" section at the end as you mentioned all you have to do is connect both PC's via FireWire and Windows will automatically create a new network. Just hope it will be that easy. From all my previous expirience with networking I was never been able to get one going :(

use the sneakernet, fast, easy and secure...

sneakernet, you mean by transfering the files to a portable hdd for example? I was hoping to do this as a last resort because I belive there might be over 100GB of data I need to transfer, and going from PC->HDD->PC will take a long time.

Thank you for that link Remeniz. Since both computers use Windows 7 and this article is talking about Windows XP I wonder if the process will be different... From what this article is saying under the "Creating Network Bridges" section at the end as you mentioned all you have to do is connect both PC's via FireWire and Windows will automatically create a new network. Just hope it will be that easy. From all my previous expirience with networking I was never been able to get one going :(

I thought the same thing. Its worth a try though. If that fails then i'd use a cross over Ethernet cable to connect the two computers together and transfer that way.

I thought the same thing. Its worth a try though. If that fails then i'd use a cross over Ethernet cable to connect the two computers together and transfer that way.

By "cross over Ethernet cable" you mean just a reqular Ethernat cable from one PC to the other?

Will I see an automatic "new" Connection in the ntwork window?

hmm...i was thinking this to myself, actually.

if i may add to the OP question?

would it be hard to stream music/HD content from one PC running W7 to a PC running XP, or vice versa?

By "cross over Ethernet cable" you mean just a reqular Ethernat cable from one PC to the other?

X-over Ethernet cables are wired differently to the Ethernet lead you would connect your PC to your router.

Will I see an automatic "new" Connection in the ntwork window?

I had to manually set it up when I connected two computers together. This was a few years ago. With the X-over Ethernet lead connected you then have to set up a network across the two computers. Once done though you can move files from one PC to the other.

hmm...i was thinking this to myself, actually.

if i may add to the OP question?

would it be hard to stream music/HD content from one PC running W7 to a PC running XP, or vice versa?

i dont think it would be
as long as all of the media is in the WMP library
so that windows will see it all
now you could use one PC as the server
and have all of the media in the shared media folder
and that would also allow you to stream it
i do that alot!!!!

what ever happened to it being wireless?
but a wired gigabit network would be alot faster
just run an ethernet cable from one pc to the other would be alot faster than wireless
but there are those cases in which a wired network is just not an option

wired networks usually arnt used these days, its a shame i think.

but my apartment has Ethernet to every room, so i just plug into the wall basically lol.

Back
Top Bottom