Switched Hard Drive to New Computer- Won't Boot into Windows

guitardude777

In Runtime
I built a new computer and installed two of my older hard drives with Windows XP installed on them. One of the drives booted into windows using safe mode, but now I can't get back into windows on that drive b/c it says I need to activate it. The other drive won't even boot into XP in safe mode; it gives me a 0x0000007b error. Please tell me there is a way to boot into XP on this drive? The other one booted fine the first time, but the primary hard drive I need won't.

You'll need to reinstall windows xp on the new computer you built. You can't take a harddrive out of a working machine and place it a completely different setup and expect it to work.

ok so when you reinstall the os into a new system doesn't microsoft give you some grief about activating a copy of windows that has already been used on another machine that has been activated before? I've heard this and have been wanting to upgrade to new mobo and processor but I really don't think I should have to spring for a new copy of xp but thats just me.
is this the case?
I have a yamaha xg soundcard I use to record in my home studio and there are no vista drivers for it so I want to stay with my XP and want to upgrade mobo and processor for performance

zz

I forgot to post and tell you guys that I just decided to reformat and install windows again, after backing up my data of course. Thanks for your input though. I appreciate it.

I forgot to post and tell you guys that I just decided to reformat and install windows again, after backing up my data of course. Thanks for your input though. I appreciate it.

ok so do you have to reactivate and will ms let you do that on a new machine?

ZZ

Yes & Yes. All you have to do is tell them you got a new HDD or a new MoBo and they will give you a new activation key. Sometimes you can even get away with activating it without having to call them.

Back
Top Bottom