new build

If anything, get a SSD for OS/basic apps and SATA for games. But bear in mind, games will be slower because you are loading from a 7200 physical rather than a NAND flash SSD.

He just said an SSD is too expensive, which of course it is.
I just feel that using regular SATA drives for apps won't make a difference, I feel he should have it all one one big SATA drive.

He just said an SSD is too expensive, which of course it is.
I just feel that using regular SATA drives for apps won't make a difference, I feel he should have it all one one big SATA drive.

Right. But I was saying, "if any SSD setup were to be used, it should be this:"

I can't agree more. SSD's are way out of proper league on price and a single 7200 or 7200's in RAID would almost par or dominate for the latter.

I use a single 500Gb partitioned for OS/games and it works just fine. I'm normally one of the first people on the map when it comes to gaming.

My two cents:
Gigabyte > ASUS as far as motherboards go.
Corei5/7 is good if you want lots of CPU power, but as far as gaming goes you're kind of burning money.
750W PSU would be fine but is probably a little overkill for a single card.
Samsung DVD drives are made out of cardboard.

Around what you're looking at I'd probably lean to a 955BE instead, use the money elsewhere. Good luck with the system though.

Edit: I've got a 150gb 10krpm raptor in my current setup and that's heaps for storage. They're fast but kind of noisy, faster and more reliable than RAID0 and cheaper than an SSD. I'd wait a few more months before getting an SSD.

the reason i have two hard drives is to reduce the use of the drives. and if the os drive fails. all my data is still ok.

You can still partition the big drive.. that's what I did for mine. Just incase my puter crashed I would still have all of my other stuff on the other partition. If a hdd fails there's almost always a way to get information off.. Unless you smash it with a hammer.

For the OS you would be good with 100gb drive. With all of your data and programs on the big drive, 100gb is even overkill.. I would go with a raid though ;)

Back
Top Bottom